Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which consumes more power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know where y'all are getting your numbers from but I have a hard time believing the HVAC on these cars can draw more than 2kw.

This article suggests numbers more online with what I had suggested.

Sure, I believe that. My EV6 would only take about 800w to maintain steady state temperature at 3º C, which is 37º F.

It would also take 2,000w to maintain temp at 10º F, and draw over 5,000w when heating the cabin from a cold soak. I‘ll have the adapter to gather consumption data this week. If my EV6 would draw 2.8 kW with the compressor spinning at 2,800 RPMs, I have a tough time imagining that the Model Y consumes less when it’s screaming at 9,000 RPMs.

My adapter showed up yesterday, so I was able to get some numbers for HVAC power consumption.

System off was pulling 0.2 kW:

System Off.jpg

Set to "HI" temperature and wait for the compressor to spin to 8,800 RPMs:

IMG_2072.jpg System on MAX.jpg

And it pulls 7.1 kW. I've seen the compressor spin to 9,000 RPMs before, so it seems like the HVAC system will pull a max of 7 kW to heat the cabin. This explains why it feels so much more powerful than the 6 kW PTC heater in my Model 3. Ambient temperature when I pulled these numbers was 29*, and the vent temps hit 200* within a minute.

My adapter showed up yesterday, so I was able to get some numbers for HVAC power consumption.

System off was pulling 0.2 kW:

View attachment 911702

Set to "HI" temperature and wait for the compressor to spin to 8,800 RPMs:

View attachment 911704 View attachment 911703

And it pulls 7.1 kW. I've seen the compressor spin to 9,000 RPMs before, so it seems like the HVAC system will pull a max of 7 kW to heat the cabin. This explains why it feels so much more powerful than the 6 kW PTC heater in my Model 3. Ambient temperature when I pulled these numbers was 29*, and the vent temps hit 200* within a minute.
Thanks for verifying this. That aligns with my estimate I came up with before making a post on another forum. Some members didn't agree that the compressor could use that much power.