Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Model Generates More Profit for Tesla?

Which Model Generates More Profit for Tesla?

• Model 3 AWD Performance: $62,000

• Model S Base Model: $85,000

• Model X Base Model: $88,000

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been making quite a few changes to pricing of Model S and X recently and I'm wondering if they would rather nudge consumers into a performance Model 3 or a base Model S or X. I didn't include the performance Model S or X because I assume, at ~$120K, they are quite profitable. I also did not include paint, wheels or autopilot since those items should be equally profitable on all three models.

Tesla has been making quite a few changes to pricing of Model S and X recently and I'm wondering if they would rather nudge consumers into a performance Model 3 or a base Model S or X. I didn't include the performance Model S or X because I assume, at ~$120K, they are quite profitable. I also did not include paint, wheels or autopilot since those items should be equally profitable on all three models.

I assume you mean on a per-unit basis? if not, then it's M3, just based on the number of units sold.

Per unit it's almost certainly the Performance M3. The Model S P100D probably has the biggest margin. Per production line the Model 3 production is probably the most profitable. For a manufacturer, the real measure of profit is how much you make per sq ft of factory space. If you have a production line that takes up 100,000 sf and makes 10,000 cars a year at $50K profit each, but you can make an equal profit making 100K cars in the same sf with a $5K profit each.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin