Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which system to reduce AC current spike?

troptop

Mar 28, 2019
SoCal
Hi guys, so which system did you end up with to reduce the current spike when AC starts? My LRA is 145, the compressor inside the AC is a scroll type. Sure start, easy start, what other "soft start" system is worth trying? What reduces the spike best?

power.saver

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2018
Arcadia, CA
Tesla installed the SureStart on my 129 LRA compressor... and it does reduce the inrush current, but not enough. My two PWs cannot carry the load of the AC starting during a grid failure, so my AC is not backed up.

troptop

Mar 28, 2019
SoCal
Tesla installed the SureStart on my 129 LRA compressor... and it does reduce the inrush current, but not enough. My two PWs cannot carry the load of the AC starting during a grid failure, so my AC is not backed up.
ok, doesnt sound promising for me so far. I also have 2 PWs. The claim from sure start distributor is 60-70% reduction of inrush current if its a scroll compressor, which my AC is.

troptop

Mar 28, 2019
SoCal
A surestart box can start an LRA 145 AC with two powerwalls and solar. With just 2 powerwalls and no solar it does not work, trips the system.

• Informative
Reactions: Flyguy

KY-Lonewolf

Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2019
Kentucky
I have a Hyper Engineering Soft Starter (for high amperage HVAC condenser loads)
It works well on my 4-Ton 48000 BTU air conditioner.
I have Powerwalls and a Backup Generator.
The Powerwall install team replaced my old soft start September of this year with a Hyper Engineering.
It works better than the old soft start installed by the HVAC people when my Generac generator was put in.
I'm holding the old one in my hand right now and it has no model number or manufacturer's name on it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC