Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the side windows plus back window.

There is a shop that will do photosync for $1100 with one piece rear glass.
$900 for Pinnacle
$700 for Stratos

Another shop can to Crystalline with 2 piece rear glass for $650
This same shop can also do solargard (I think with one piece rear for less than the Cystalline).

Will I notice a $500-$600 difference between Solargard and Photosync?

Will I notice a 2 piece rear tint job on the 3's rear window?

Looking to go with around 30-35%

VLT = 32 | TSER = 79 … TSER = Spectra Photosync SPH35 ($1100)
VLT = 39 | TSER = 60 … 3M Crystalline 40 ($650 - two piece)
VLT = 33 | TSER = 57 … Formula One Pinnacle 30 ($700)
VLT = ?? | TSER = 59 ... Formula One Stratos 30 ($900)
VLT = 34 | TSER = 43 … Solar Guard Ultra Performace 30 ($550 ish)

I'm thinking to maybe go with the pinnacle or Stratos or a combination of both, but also have the roof done with the money saved?

Last edited:
I just got my tint installed

30%
Llumar CTX (VLT 34%, TSER 49%)
1 piece rear window - don’t settle for 2 piece, that is a sign you need a new installer. Mine just ordered a larger piece for the window, they didn’t have it in stock.

$499. (Also, I’m in Michigan not CA)

Also, you don’t need to tint the roof, it will be way too dark if you do

Last edited:
I just got my tint installed

30%
Llumar CTX (VLT 34%, TSER 49%)
1 piece rear window - don’t settle for 2 piece, that is a sign you need a new installer. Mine just ordered a larger piece for the window, they didn’t have it in stock.

$499. (Also, I’m in Michigan not CA)

Also, you don’t need to tint the roof, it will be way too dark if you do
I was thinking to do like a 75% on the roof if I do tint it, just to block heat in the summer. I think the installer is fine, it's not his talent that is holding him back, just that he is a very small shop and does not want to buy a roll of that tint (if available) just to do my one rear window. But it looks like I'll be going the other route anyways. I wanted photo-sync but now I'm thinking about going a little cheaper.

Congrats on finally getting your car!

$1100 is a great price for Photosync. This is for front and rear sides, and one piece back? I was quoted about $2K.

I went with a group buy for 3M crystalline on my 3, had it all done (incl roof and front windshield) for $750 I think. But that's offer's gone.

I have Photosync on my X and it has been fine. I had Huper Optik on my previous car, and I would prefer HO over Photosync (I like the color better, and I think it may have slightly better clarity). While Photosync on paper is a superior film (in terms of heat rejection), I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the two.

I'm currently satisfied with 3M on my 3. I only got my car late Sept so I haven't experienced enough hot days to tell for sure whether 3M is as good, but so far it seems fine. If you have a good price on Photosync and you want it for piece of mind, go for it. The other major brands will be good enough, too. Second, and actually probably JUST AS IMPORTANT as the tint itself, is whether the place you're getting it does a good job and has experience with the 3.

Congrats on finally getting your car!

$1100 is a great price for Photosync. This is for front and rear sides, and one piece back? I was quoted about $2K.

I went with a group buy for 3M crystalline on my 3, had it all done (incl roof and front windshield) for $750 I think. But that's offer's gone.

I have Photosync on my X and it has been fine. I had Huper Optik on my previous car, and I would prefer HO over Photosync (I like the color better, and I think it may have slightly better clarity). While Photosync on paper is a superior film (in terms of heat rejection), I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the two.

I'm currently satisfied with 3M on my 3. I only got my car late Sept so I haven't experienced enough hot days to tell for sure whether 3M is as good, but so far it seems fine. If you have a good price on Photosync and you want it for piece of mind, go for it. The other major brands will be good enough, too. Second, and actually probably JUST AS IMPORTANT as the tint itself, is whether the place you're getting it does a good job and has experience with the 3.

Yes and thanks!, I was thinking Monumental for the photosync, they have done lots of 3's. This price does not include the windshield, or roof :( Just sides and rear window. $750 sounds like a way better deal if that includes everything I would be happy with crystalline for sure, that's like 1/2 price! Was that the OC deal? Not exactly convenient being doen in San Diego but now It sounds like I'm paying way too much.

The biggest issue I have is people are telling me I should lemon the car and get another one with the PUP since it was in the shop well over 30 days, but if I keep thinking like that I'll never get tint, and by the time I get PPF it will just be getting applied over a bunch of rock chips.

Last edited:
I went with 3m crystalline 40% on side windows and pano roof, 70% on windshield (cant even see it, just got it for heat rejection) and Llumar ctx on rear window 1 piece install.

I dont believe having the pano roof tinted 3m 40% made it too dark. I guess it depends what you want for the roof. I didnt want sun (or light) beaming down on me constantly during the summer without something up there, even though it comes with some tint.

I also did a chrome delete (I couldnt stand the chrome trim but I know I am not alone on that) and also had the wrap place do dry carbon fiber look on the mirror caps, and on the wood trim and console. I think it came out great, I am super happy with it.

I went with 3m crystalline 40% on side windows and pano roof, 70% on windshield (cant even see it, just got it for heat rejection) and Llumar ctx on rear window 1 piece install.

I dont believe having the pano roof tinted 3m 40% made it too dark. I guess it depends what you want for the roof. I didnt want sun (or light) beaming down on me constantly during the summer without something up there, even though it comes with some tint.

I also did a chrome delete (I couldnt stand the chrome trim but I know I am not alone on that) and also had the wrap place do dry carbon fiber look on the mirror caps, and on the wood trim and console. I think it came out great, I am super happy with it.
how much was the tint?

how much was the tint?

I Paid 1050 as a cash price, would have been 1100 for credit. This is at a shop out here in Temecula thats been here 30 years. They have done around 30 Model 3s so are familiar with it.

I got the chrome delete and console stuff done at sd wrap. they had about 15-20 cars there, a ferrari, 3-4 porsches and several tesla model 3s. sd wrap told me the most popular thing they are doing right now is chrome delete on tesla model 3s. They also do tint but since mine was already done, not sure how much they charge. Their work is excellent though.

I Paid 1050 as a cash price, would have been 1100 for credit. This is at a shop out here in Temecula thats been here 30 years. They have done around 30 Model 3s so are familiar with it.

I got the chrome delete and console stuff done at sd wrap. they had about 15-20 cars there, a ferrari, 3-4 porsches and several tesla model 3s. sd wrap told me the most popular thing they are doing right now is chrome delete on tesla model 3s. They also do tint but since mine was already done, not sure how much they charge. Their work is excellent though.
Wow not bad that what this place wants for just the side and back windows with photosync. Maybe I should drop down a notch and see if I can get the windshield and roof tone with one of those cheaper tints.

What is the shop in temecula? I should probably give them a call and see what they can do for me.

Wow not bad that what this place wants for just the side and back windows with photosync. Maybe I should drop down a notch and see if I can get the windshield and roof tone with one of those cheaper tints.

What is the shop in temecula? I should probably give them a call and see what they can do for me.

Its called Temecula Autoglass and Tint. They didnt have photosync, I think 3m crystalline was the highest they had. Send me a PM if you want me to contact them and refer you (I think they gave me a "loyalty" price since I had my BMWs done there too). I love their work. I am also willing to meet you somewhere in a parking lot or something if you want to take a look at the tint job on my car to look at the work.

Im not affiliated with them at all, I just have used them before and been happy with their work.

I have Photosync on our model X and Solargard on our model 3. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in look or in heat rejection. On paper, Photosync and 3M Crystalline are like twice as much heat rejection than Solargard, but I don't really feel it. BTW, if you want to keep the car inside cool while parked, front sunshield and the Tesla sunscreen for the roof and back are amazing. We have 5 Model 3 at the office and we were comparing our internal temperature hour by hour. Some got tint, some got white interior, etc... The car that beats all others by staying coolest during the workday was the one with sunshade and sunscreen and no tint.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I have Photosync on our model X and Solargard on our model 3. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in look or in heat rejection. On paper, Photosync and 3M Crystalline are like twice as much heat rejection than Solargard, but I don't really feel it. BTW, if you want to keep the car inside cool while parked, front sunshield and the Tesla sunscreen for the roof and back are amazing. We have 5 Model 3 at the office and we were comparing our internal temperature hour by hour. Some got tint, some got white interior, etc... The car that beats all others by staying coolest during the workday was the one with sunshade and sunscreen and no tint.

I got a sunshade too, actually (although not one for the pano roof). I loved the BMW sunshade I had, from the BMW dealer. It was not easiest thing to STORE, but it had a nice fill in the middle of it and was great at actually keeping heat out.

The company that makes the BMW (and other manufacturer) sunshades also sells them NOT branded directly from their website, and has one that fits the model 3 windshield perfectly. Also comes in a few different colors, so I could get the light blue unbranded one to match my blue car.

The company is "covercraft"

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product/uvs100-custom-sunscreen.UV

It works great at heat rejection from the front windshield and fits perfectly in the Model 3 (the model 3 specific sized one, you select your vehicle on the site).

The price is about what the BMW one cost at the dealer and for some might be expensive for a sunscreen, but in a place with a lot of sun its invaluable. Since I have had BMW sunscreens for 6 years, this was a no brainer for me to order the same mfr one for my tesla.

Its called Temecula Autoglass and Tint. They didnt have photosync, I think 3m crystalline was the highest they had. Send me a PM if you want me to contact them and refer you (I think they gave me a "loyalty" price since I had my BMWs done there too). I love their work. I am also willing to meet you somewhere in a parking lot or something if you want to take a look at the tint job on my car to look at the work.

Im not affiliated with them at all, I just have used them before and been happy with their work.
Wow Crystalline is good enough for sure.
I'm supposed to head down to Monumental tomorrow morning, but maybe I need to talk to them about their pricing. Sounds like I wouldn't do too wrong getting the lesser quality tint though.

Can you tell any difference in quality? Photosync is like twice as much!
Do the tinted ones have photosync on the roof?

I have been using this sun shade for my front window, fits great!:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYGJ1TB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Informative

No the tinted one does not have tint on the roof.. just the side and back. None on windshield either. That's probably why the one with shades covering front and roof stayed the coolest for the longest. But to be fair, by around 11 to noon, all cars go up to 105 internal temp (that's when the cabin overheat kicked in). This was done back around the beginning of November here in So Cal.... where the outside temp was at the low 80's. We were all surprised how hot the interior get under the sun even when outside was quite cool. None of us got access to interior temperature remotely before we got our model 3.

As for quality in Photosync or Solargard, "I" can't tell the difference. I had Solargard films on all my cars in the last 10 years by installed by the same person. He is a really good tint installer. They look great and never bubble up or anything. I got Photosync for my wife's Model X because I read about it on the forum here. It looks great, but I don't think it looks better. And I can't tell the difference in heat, because just like the Model 3, I think if you park under the sun long enough (a few hours), it will get to 105 and stop. Maybe it will take Photosync 1 extra hour but it will get there. Maybe it will make a bigger difference if you turn off cabin overheat protection and when you get to the car at the end of the work day.. it will be 125 vs 150. BTW, it will get to over 140 in the summer if you turn off cabin overheat. I tried it once just to see how hot it gets inside LOL.

Wow Crystalline is good enough for sure.
I'm supposed to head down to Monumental tomorrow morning, but maybe I need to talk to them about their pricing. Sounds like I wouldn't do too wrong getting the lesser quality tint though.

I have been using this sun shade for my front window, fits great!:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYGJ1TB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the shop I took my 3 to was charging about $950 for 3M crystalline on all windows (incl front windshield and roof) as their reg price. Still a really good price for 3M. They're in Costa Mesa if you're willing to sacrifice a day and come up here from Escondido. But if you have a local place and you know they do a good job, I'd suggest sicking with them - most of these places have a warranty, and if you ever have a problem and need to use it, then they're much handier to get to. And again, knowing that they do a good job on 3s is worth paying a bit more for.

I'm not going to pretend to be an authority on whether one tint is that much better than another. All we can do is rely on the numbers that they give. Photosync works. is it worth twice the price that some places are charging? Not in my opinion. And their numbers are sooo much better than the others that I wonder if they haven't been "tweaked" somehow. (All research I tried to do on Photosync just leads to people hyping the brand on forums - no real 3rd party reviews/comparisons.) 3M is a big corporation, and I figure they can't take the risk of false advertising so I figure their numbers may be more legit. Suntek and Llumar are both subsidiaries of Eastman films, so they're probably equal, just variations on the same formula (Llumar subbrands incl both Pinnacle and Stratos).

If you get a chance to see these in person, you should compare the color and clarity for yourself. Each brand is a little different, with some colors warmer or cooler than others (Photosync slightly blue, Crystalline slightly brown, some others more gray/neutral, etc). Then settle on what degree of VLT/darkness you want, and what degree of heat transfer you're willing to tolerate. I got 70% front windshield, 40% front sides, roof, and rear windshield, and 20% rear sides. I'm very happy with this combination. 40% is lighter than I expected/not as dark as I feared. 40 on the roof makes it pretty dark in combo with the factory tint, but I wanted it to match the tinted upper part of the rear windshield.

Want to stress again that the people doing it are also just as important, and if you can see their work, you can feel much more confident about your purchase. If you can see evidence of small residual bubbles or dust trapped underneath (beyond your acceptable limit) you should maybe look somewhere else.

Reactions: Jivas
Just avoid Rodz Tint Shop in Fountain Valley at all cost. They did a pretty shitty tint job on my M3. I paid $950 for 3M Crystalline all around including the windshield and glass roof. There were dust bubbles everywhere and they said that's normal. They refused to fix my problems after the second time around. They said they tinted over 500 Tesla's there but only got 42 yelp reviews total. Sounds like total bullshit to me...

I got crystalline ceramic on the back 3 windows. I want to say it was $900 but I can't remember and am too lazy to look for the paper.

whatever you do, you want the back window done with a single piece. if the shop won't do it, then they don't do a lot of model 3's. if they did, they'd have the wide film in stock. find another shop.