Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which TPMS sensors work for 2021 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could not get Bluetooth sensors from Tesla SC here in Germany. So my tire professional picked the original sensors from the summer tires and put them in the winter tires. But now the car won't find the sensors anymore, even after driving > 100 km. I looked for a TPMS reset button in the Service menu (as seen in some YT videos) but could not find it. Any ideas?

I could not get Bluetooth sensors from Tesla SC here in Germany. So my tire professional picked the original sensors from the summer tires and put them in the winter tires. But now the car won't find the sensors anymore, even after driving > 100 km. I looked for a TPMS reset button in the Service menu (as seen in some YT videos) but could not find it. Any ideas?
The TPMS reset button was removed in the cars that use BT sensors. I’d try an MCU reboot and try driving around again for a few more trips to see if that does the trick.

Hi Guys. Yves from Montreal. By instinct, I was going to buy a complete set of RIM +TMPS for my 2021 SR+ like I usually do for all my cars. But adding the costs this time, I am not sure it makes sense. Total cost for 4 rims + 4 tpms I am close to 1500$. A tire swap is 87$ x 2 per year =175$. This means 8.5 years before just getting back my investment and even more because through those years, I will have to buy a 2 new sets (winter and summer) and rebalance at least once. Financially, it doesn't make sense. What are you thoughts?

Hi Guys. Yves from Montreal. By instinct, I was going to buy a complete set of RIM +TMPS for my 2021 SR+ like I usually do for all my cars. But adding the costs this time, I am not sure it makes sense. Total cost for 4 rims + 4 tpms I am close to 1500$. A tire swap is 87$ x 2 per year =175$. This means 8.5 years before just getting back my investment and even more because through those years, I will have to buy a 2 new sets (winter and summer) and rebalance at least once. Financially, it doesn't make sense. What are you thoughts?
Tires are a running cost, not an investment. I'm not really following your line of thinking here.

Rims and sensors can always be sold later on to recoup some of those costs if you decide to change cars down the line.

Reactions: Vawlkus
As above, is there any annoying alarms, audio or visual, if you choose to run the summer tyres without sensors?
Yes, there is a warning icon at the top of the MCU as well as a message similar to the one pictured here that is persistent:

40croezs1s931.jpg

Another reason I'm going with "all weather" tires like Michelin CrossClimate. But then we don't do much winter driving anyway and no hills to climb.
Also we don't drive a lot, so after 8-9 years with winter tires, we end up with two sets of tires with lots of tread but need to be replaced cause of age.

Yes, there is a warning icon at the top of the MCU as well as a message similar to the one pictured here that is persistent:

40croezs1s931.jpg
When you say the message is persistent, I assume you mean that it keeps coming up during a journey and you have to keep cancelling it. On my current car (BMW), once you cancel it at the beginning of a journey it no longer appears, just a light on the dash. Trying to decide whether I would need to but TPMS sensors for a set of summer wheels for the Model 3.

When you say the message is persistent, I assume you mean that it keeps coming up during a journey and you have to keep cancelling it. On my current car (BMW), once you cancel it at the beginning of a journey it no longer appears, just a light on the dash. Trying to decide whether I would need to but TPMS sensors for a set of summer wheels for the Model 3.
Yes, that black bar message appears at every drive. You're able to swipe it away and it collapses into a black circle on the left but will reappear in full form during the next drive.

Is there a reason why you won't just buy the sensors? If so have a 2020 or older car then the aftermarket options are decently priced. 2021+ you're stuck paying Tesla's prices.

Yes, that black bar message appears at every drive. You're able to swipe it away and it collapses into a black circle on the left but will reappear in full form during the next drive.

Is there a reason why you won't just buy the sensors? If so have a 2020 or older car then the aftermarket options are decently priced. 2021+ you're stuck paying Tesla's prices.
Thanks. No car bought yet but will be 2021 so sensors won’t be cheap. I’d get over the message every trip if I could just swipe it away. Thanks again for the info.

Random question - will the new Bluetooth based TPMS work with the 2018-2020 Model 3 automatically?

I’m in the market for a spare 18” aero wheelset, and I just want to know if I need to be focusing on finding a wheelset with the old TPMS sensors.

Random question - will the new Bluetooth based TPMS work with the 2018-2020 Model 3 automatically?

I’m in the market for a spare 18” aero wheelset, and I just want to know if I need to be focusing on finding a wheelset with the old TPMS sensors.
Bluetooth tpms aren’t compatible with 18-20 Model 3’s. If you find a good deal on a newer set of wheels/tires with BlE tpms, just order an aftermarket set of 433MHz tpms off Amazon for $120 and swap them out for another $30-40 at a tire shop and sell the bluetooth ones for $200. Shop doesn’t need to dismount the tire completely to swap out tpms sensors.

• Helpful
Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
Bluetooth tpms aren’t compatible with 18-20 Model 3’s. If you find a good deal on a newer set of wheels/tires with BlE tpms, just order an aftermarket set of 433MHz tpms off Amazon for $120 and swap them out for another $30-40 at a tire shop and sell the bluetooth ones for $200. Shop doesn’t need to dismount the tire completely to swap out tpms sensors.
Thanks!