Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which wall connector should I get? The Gen 3 wall connector or the new J1772 Tesla wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are about to take delivery of our first electric car, a Tesla MYLR, and are unsure which option would be the best.

I can see the simplicity in just using a Tesla wall charger to charge the Tesla, but am wondering if it might be wiser to get the J1772 since it is the industry standard, and just use an adapter.

Any thoughts?

We are about to take delivery of our first electric car, a Tesla MYLR, and are unsure which option would be the best.

I can see the simplicity in just using a Tesla wall charger to charge the Tesla, but am wondering if it might be wiser to get the J1772 since it is the industry standard, and just use an adapter.

Any thoughts?
Unless you are likely to own a second non-Tesla EV or plug-in hybrid vehicle then the Tesla Gen2 Wall Connector is what you would want. The Tesla Wall Connector at $425 is less expensive than the J1772 Tesla Wall Connctor ($550.) The Tesla Wall Connector with the Tesla charging connector has a button on the connector that will cause the Tesla Model Y vehicle charge port cover to open even when the Tesla Model Y is in sleep mode. When you use a J1772 charging connector you have to open the charge port cover another way; first wake up the Tesla Model Y if in sleep mode such as opening a door and pressing on the charge port cover with your hand. You can also open the charge port cover from inside the Tesla Model Y using the screen or use the Tesla app to open the charge port cover.

Any thoughts?
Order the Tesla Gen 3 HPWC and find a local licensed qualified electrician to install it that will file for the local permits,, inspection, provide the necessary load data to your local utility, and assist you for any local, state , and federal rebates.
The vehicle comes with a J1772 adapter. I also purchased a CC1 adapter which I used on a recent trip to Florida for the FPL Evolution 350kWh chargers which are cheaper to use than the Tesla 250kWh chargers

Order the Tesla Gen 3 HPWC and find a local licensed qualified electrician to install it that will file for the local permits,, inspection, provide the necessary load data to your local utility, and assist you for any local, state , and federal rebates.
The vehicle comes with a J1772 adapter. I also purchased a CC1 adapter which I used on a recent trip to Florida for the FPL Evolution 350kWh chargers which are cheaper to use than the Tesla 250kWh chargers
Thanks for the reply.

yes this is what we are doing. When we renovated our house we pulled a 100 amp line into the garage for a sub panel. Going to have the electrician put in a 60 amp breaker and install wall charger. Also going to install a Nema plug running 30 amps for potential future needs.

Any thoughts?
I would get the Tesla charger. I had a good J1772 before I got my Tesla, and debated installing a Tesla instead. The J1772 is fine, but the native Tesla charger is just a little bit better in how you can open the charger port door and unlock the plug. If you ever want to switch to J1772, then you can order Tesla's J1772 charger and snap it onto your existing wiring base.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Unless you are likely to own a second non-Tesla EV or plug-in hybrid vehicle then the Tesla Gen2 Wall Connector is what you would want. The Tesla Wall Connector at $425 is less expensive than the J1772 Tesla Wall Connctor ($550.) The Tesla Wall Connector with the Tesla charging connector has a button on the connector that will cause the Tesla Model Y vehicle charge port cover to open even when the Tesla Model Y is in sleep mode. When you use a J1772 charging connector you have to open the charge port cover another way; first wake up the Tesla Model Y if in sleep mode such as opening a door and pressing on the charge port cover with your hand. You can also open the charge port cover from inside the Tesla Model Y using the screen or use the Tesla app to open the charge port cover.
Just know that if you live in California and want the available rebate on the wall charger LADWP (not sure of others) will ONLY rebate the BLACK Wall Charger (J1772) but no rebate is currently available for the WHITE Wall Charger. Go figure.

Just know that if you live in California and want the available rebate on the wall charger LADWP (not sure of others) will ONLY rebate the BLACK Wall Charger (J1772) but no rebate is currently available for the WHITE Wall Charger. Go figure.
The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector and the new Tesla Universal Wall Connector (has an integral J1772 adapter for charging non-Tesla vehicles) can only be purchased with a white faceplate. Tesla sells Wall Connector Color Matched Faceplates for the Gen3 Wall Connector. The Color Matched Faceplate is compatible with all Gen3 Wall Connectors (the product description does not say if the Color Matched Faceplate is compatible with the new Universal Wall Connector).

Thanks for the reply.

yes this is what we are doing. When we renovated our house we pulled a 100 amp line into the garage for a sub panel. Going to have the electrician put in a 60 amp breaker and install wall charger. Also going to install a Nema plug running 30 amps for potential future needs.
We did 125 amp sub panel and two 60 amp circuits to two gen 3s
We can charge two Tesla at the same time
and charge visitors

Btw, the WCs are inside the garage with each having pass throughs to mounts outside
1697658006831.png