Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whine when in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The “whine” is from the pedestrian warning system which is required by law. The same is true if you’re driving forward with speed < 30 MPH, though the sound is different.
I tried recording the sound on my phone but couldn’t capture the sound. Maybe the phone filtered it out. But I’m beginning to believe you guys now that I didn’t hear the sound during the night time.

The PWS is "soft" but super loud and a phone should be able to easily record it. I can hear it from my back yard when my wife is backing out from the front garage (two story ~3000 sq ft home).

I was indifferent to the PWS until I realized how annoying it must be to neighbors. And now we know why ICE manufacturers lobbied to selectively apply to only EVs.

I am not the OP, but here is the PWS as randomly recorded by a ring device for their reference Ring #AlwaysHome and without PWS Ring #AlwaysHome

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
HAHAHA! My PWS, at 1AM, between my driveway brickwall and house brickwall, is LOUD!!!! Sounds like it could wake the neighborhood. At 8AM, it's not nearly so loud, I can barely hear it.

Of course, the volume is exactly the same, just a dramatic change in neighborhood ambient sound, and a change in my perception.

Reactions: dduffey
I tried recording the sound on my phone but couldn’t capture the sound. Maybe the phone filtered it out. But I’m beginning to believe you guys now that I didn’t hear the sound during the night time.

If you are implying that the PWS only goes off if there are pedestrians around, that is not the case. It is always on under a certain speed and different sounds for forward and reverse.

Forward is more of a static white noise sound which is mostly lost in the whine of other devices (fans, etc.). Reverse is a jetsony whawhawhawha ...

There are some original sound files pulled from the firmware floating around if you are really curious.

It was my 1st time in reverse this AM and the PWS sound "sucker babe'd me all over my face", Dang near texted for a service call. I would have thought the PWS would have been NORMAL beeping horn, a clanging bell, or a loud buzzer. Leave it to Elon, nothin is normal with Elon. good job Tesla design team, I like it.