Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Whispbar and/or bike mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been pondering this. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the TorkLift hitch for my 85D. I have the northshoreracks.com NSR-2Bike rack and find it to be the best thing to carry mountain bikes (bikes hang from front suspension like doing a wheelie). It easily tips back to allow the hatch to open, so I'm not concerned about whether it will fit the MS or not. My biggest hurdle has been getting to the point where I can accept the cut under the back bumper... LOL! It looks almost invisible, so I'm almost good to get it installed.

Last edited:
Beeerock - didn't see your post. I was looking at that today. Looks like a bolt on solution. Let us know and send some pics. I take delivery on Friday ;)
Do you mean the hitch or the rack? TorkLiftCentral site has a good video showing the installation. Other than removing the bumper to install, it's pretty foolproof. If not for the holesaw work it would be perfect.

Rack just fits into the receiver as typical. It's the way the bike sits that sets this design ahead of the others IMHO... Center of gravity tends to be further forward than other hitch mounts unless you have to set it back to fit on a van. Loading is super fast... hang the bike, one cord around the rear wheel, done! But you need the fork dimensions of a front shock to get it to fit the hanger properly.

I've been trying to get my local service center (Rockville, MD) to order a roof rack for me but they say they've been unable to get one for months and I should order it myself. Shipping alone through tesla is over $50! With taxes the total is over $600

I've made my decision and will have the TorkLift system installed in the next couple of weeks.

Chris, don't forget that you can use other bars besides the stock Tesla Whispbar. The trick is to find the towers that connect to the threaded receivers in the roof. I'm pretty sure Yakima offers something, probably Thule too. If you already have attachments you'd like to use (or even bars!), sourcing the towers for any system you might already have could be a reasonable alternative. And might be cheaper if you can re-use existing bits and pieces.