TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Whispbar has been discontinued

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rpo, Dec 30, 2016.

1. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Resurrecting this thread - who exactly currently provides roof rack systems (and accessories) for Tesla? I'm looking at it for my Model S with a pano roof. I've looked at both Whispbar and Thule but neither come up for Tesla and frankly for the cost I want to make sure they will have support into the future.

Is there any compatibility issues between the bars and the carriers (ie. Whispbar with Thule ski racks, etc.)?

2. sknaf

sknaf Member

@TrevTremaine I bought my whisper bars for my S (through Tesla) in fall 2018. Most accessories clamp around the bar, so small differences in shape will not matter and accessories will be interchangeable (they work on anything round to foil wing shaped). There is also a bolt slot - if something only works with a bolt slot, I would make sure, as I suspect there are slight differences there.

I think Yakima bought whisper, so is it just the Whisper name being discontinued ? I thought that purchase happened a couple years back. And I just bought my whisper crossbars 6 months ago.

~S

• Like x 1
  3. nwujames

nwujames Member

I'm selling my Model S Whisperbar if anyone is interested.

4. nwujames

nwujames Member

The Whisperbar will work. There are two different mounting kits based on the age of your Model S, but as long as you have the pano (not the solid metal or solid glass), this should work for you.

• Like x 1
  5. SoFlaGuy

SoFlaGuy New Member

Are these still available?

6. nwujames

nwujames Member

Sorry, no - sold

7. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

Yakima bu direct, you don't have to use whisper bars, i have round bars, and its no problem.

• Like x 1
  8. BillFres

BillFres Member

A number of years ago, Yakima bought WhispBar. Yakima still makes the identical bar, which is sold under the Tesla name. The advantage of using the Tesla-branded cross bar is that it functions with the sunroof open... Thule warns you that their setup does NOT recommend opening the sunroof.
    Plus, the advantage over a round or square bar is that the WhispBar is quieter...