Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whistling sounds whilst driving - windscreen wiper alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I bought my Tesla (used, out of warranty) I have had a whistling sound about 40 miles an hour. It seems to fade when the wipers are activated.

I asked a Tesla technician at a service centre today who stated that there are markers on the windscreen to indicate where the wipers should sit. This is how my wipers look.

I have Google-d but can't can't find where I need to adjust, I am guessing on the windscreen wiper post?

Does this look like others or is this probably the cause of the whistling?
IMG_2059.jpeg

The service manual should have this detail. service.tesla.com - you can get access for free.
Section 1750 details the procedure for removing and installing a new arm. In there it mentions adjusting the arm to a specific location. It also notes that you need a special tool to remove the arm, but not sure if you could loosen it enough to adjust without the tool.

The service manual should have this detail. service.tesla.com - you can get access for free.
Section 1750 details the procedure for removing and installing a new arm. In there it mentions adjusting the arm to a specific location. It also notes that you need a special tool to remove the arm, but not sure if you could loosen it enough to adjust without the tool.

Thanks for this. I completely forgot access to the service manual is now free.

I think they state you need a removal tool to loosen the wiper arm of the motor post, but I will see if I can move it by just loosening and re-aligning.

Others have noticed fixing whistling by blocking off various trim points around the wing mirror as helping too. I don't have photos or links handy, sorry, but the 2 I remember are
1) bottom of the front window trim, some cars have a 1-2mm gap
2) some have reported that blocking the gap at the base of the a-pillar can help (although it's actually an indicator of a not fully sealed windscreen AFAK).

If the wipers don't help, experiment with some masking tape in these areas to see if it's a prob. If that helps, people squeeze some rubber stripping I to the holes to solve.