Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Color Mismatch Unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IS it time for a class action about the white matching problems?

I have had Tesla's since 2014; Model S, Model 3 and now the Model Y

These color mismatches are unacceptable and until I was using the car daily looking at it from all directions and in all light conditions was I convinced that there is a real problem. I also thought, when taking the car at delivery, that the color differences were only due to shadows and light conditions.

I understand that the rear bumper was being painted by the bumper supplier but the doors, really?? what does the paint have a directional affect that no one took into consideration?

This is unacceptable and I cannot get my Tesla reps to respond to my letters and pictures. So much for loyalty!View attachment 579423 View attachment 579424 View attachment 579425 View attachment 579426 View attachment 579427 View attachment 579428
Start a class action or whatever and see how many folks sign on.

Reactions: richyrich
Tesla factory have many different versions of the PPSW color. They could not even match it themself. The only solution is to repaint the whole car, all panels at the same time. The PPSW is a hard color to match because the pearls inside of the clear coat. It will reflect differently if they spary it in different angle, temp etc.

see

Attachments

• 2e0afca0ff8611cc54fd98c4de61425.jpg
    2e0afca0ff8611cc54fd98c4de61425.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 68fed415dbcfa604038506f8834bddf.jpg
    68fed415dbcfa604038506f8834bddf.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 232
It was part of my due bill. Tesla Miramar in San Diego sent it to Amatos Auto Body and was at their shop for two months. They repainted everything except the hood. My car's color matches now. Cost me nothing but patience. Still, one more service to go to replace minor scuff on all trims on the exterior.

The car is at my detailer and will have pictures of the finished product next week.

XPEL Paint Protection Film, Ceramic Coating, and Tint

Below images of the mismatched white when it was at Amatos Auto Body.

you are lucky. 99% of the time they denied to repaint because they said it is "within spec".

I know the alignment is off on the doors but upon delivery they did say " yes they all are off" meaning all the cars they have received have the same offset.
Thank you for all the input on the repainting and yes I have considered having a paint shop do a paint analysis if necessary.
It is just sad that Tesla took such pride with their attention to the clients back in 2014 thru about 2017 and things have changed so much with the lack of care and indifferent attitude.
We will see in the coming week or 2.

Lemon Law may have to come into play also if they take the direction that the color differences are within acceptable tolerance. Sad

you are lucky. 99% of the time they denied to repaint because they said it is "within spec".
I actually had to work with the operations delivery manager and a great service advisor early on. Everything was documented before the 7-day return date, which I had expressed body shop repairs as a solution or I would return the car. I had it in writing the operation delivery manager approving the due bill repairs. I would not say it was luck, but more making sure it was approved as due bill item. Both operation delivery manager and service team needs to be willing to work with you. I had made it easier for them with documentation. Again, make their job easier, we just need them to approve it.

Sample how I did the documentation. Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

YMMV.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: kelly
I actually had to work with the operations delivery manager and a great service advisor early on. Everything was documented before the 7-day return date, which I had expressed body shop repairs as a solution or I would return the car. I had it in writing the operation delivery manager approving the due bill repairs. I would not say it was luck, but more making sure it was approved as due bill item. Both operation delivery manager and service team needs to be willing to work with you. I had made it easier for them with documentation. Again, make their job easier, we just need them to approve it.

Sample how I did the documentation. Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

YMMV.
wow ! you are a saint for accepting that vehicle.. I will look harder to see if I have any of what you found as luckily I haven't noticed all the issues you had..

• Funny
Reactions: DennyL
wow ! you are a saint for accepting that vehicle.. I will look harder to see if I have any of what you found as luckily I haven't noticed all the issues you had..
it was the first few white on white at that time.
I knew going in if there was paint issues, body shop repairs is the minimum I would take. I knew if it went to body shop of my choosing, it would get repainted to be done right.
They agreed and I kept it for repairs. Detailer claims better paint than factory after inspecting it. That is probably luck. Detailer will have PPF finished this week and I will share the end result if it was worth the 2 months of repairs and all the hassle.

It’s like the front doors only and rear bumpers came from China and the rear doors here in the US, the question is are these people in Fremont color blind? All of them? Nah, it’s probably the California Sun.

Fred

Exactly.. I wa thinking they had crap laying around after the pandemic re opening - however the whites are still be delivering malformed... the white owners who say they don't have a mismatch just aren't seeing it. Every one ive seen is malformed.

This is clearly an issue that Tesla knows about but isn’t doing anything to remedy/don’t know how to.

I’d be happy if they just paid for me to get it wrapped instead of them having to repaint it and get it right. Either way, there has to be a solution.

It’s ridiculous that there is even a time limit to notice factory defects otherwise they won’t be fixed.

This is clearly an issue that Tesla knows about but isn’t doing anything to remedy/don’t know how to.

I’d be happy if they just paid for me to get it wrapped instead of them having to repaint it and get it right. Either way, there has to be a solution.

It’s ridiculous that there is even a time limit to notice factory defects otherwise they won’t be fixed.

has to be a robot programming issue or a circus tent issue. I noticed some paint drips on the hatch when its raised. Ive never seen any vehicle with this type of overspray to the point of drip. I was at Tesla on Friday and a truck of cars came in - all the whites were messy. Im close with the service center agreeing to paint the drivers side - I may just ask for $$$ to wrap also - good idea.

So is it just/mostly the white cars? I have an order for a white MY but was thinking of changing it for different wheels- wonder if I should also change paint color. Red looks sharp but having hard time justifying extra $2000 and would get hotter and feels like a cop magnet.

Picked up mine last Friday in Michigan. Bumpers are different color than rest of car. More of an off-white like I see in OPs photos. Pointed this out on delivery day along with a couple other small paint defects and small panel gaps. Hope to hear from SC soon to schedule with Tesla Certified body shop. If I don't hear something by the 7th day it will be going back for a full refund.

Reactions: DennyL
Picked up mine last Friday in Michigan. Bumpers are different color than rest of car. More of an off-white like I see in OPs photos. Pointed this out on delivery day along with a couple other small paint defects and small panel gaps. Hope to hear from SC soon to schedule with Tesla Certified body shop. If I don't hear something by the 7th day it will be going back for a full refund.
Push it with delivery operations manager. Get them to get the SC involved asap. That is what it took for me to get it repainted. Get it on due bill.

Mines end results.
Before
a28YYBO.jpg

After:
4ojQy4K.jpg