Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Color Mismatch Unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MYBolt
wow, your SC is telling you to pay to have it painted or just live with it?!? Stories like these that make me glad to not fork over my 60k to Tesla right now.
I am on the fence about switching colors to MSM, but honestly, it's hard for me to want to support a company whose culture towards its customers is toxic.

Yes so far I got the polite "we're not doing it for free". My SC appt was early morning in the bright sun. It's harder to see the mismatch then. With covid, they are doing touchless so the check-in person met me outside, and we talked for an hour. They wouldn't budge. I am still working on other angles, see if I can at least get them or try a new bumper at least once under warranty.

What made you turn it down? I cant keep track of posts here, I feel like I'ver asked you before lol
Lol I can't remember if I posted in this thread or the other... Every door needed some sort adjustment. The front fender was overlapping onto the front bumper. The headlights had gaps and didn't fit snug in their holes. I MIGHT have accepted most of those, but the biggest issue was the bottom of the passenger door was noticeably bent/pitched in. I wasn't comfortable with tesla having to bend back a panel on a brand new car. It was so misaligned / bent that it was chipping paint on the inside of the door sill.
received_309160963743703.jpeg received_375897930477238.jpeg received_1179623419081315.jpeg

Lol I can't remember if I posted in this thread or the other... Every door needed some sort adjustment. The front fender was overlapping onto the front bumper. The headlights had gaps and didn't fit snug in their holes. I MIGHT have accepted most of those, but the biggest issue was the bottom of the passenger door was noticeably bent/pitched in. I wasn't comfortable with tesla having to bend back a panel on a brand new car. It was so misaligned / bent that it was chipping paint on the inside of the door sill.
View attachment 584223 View attachment 584224 View attachment 584226

Thanks. Damn, I think I would have done the same. Still blows my mind, crap like this goes thru

Mine is so bad it looks like some amateur went at the doors with a white spray can over a gold base coat... I love it when folks look at that and they chuckle...then I say yeah...that's tesla American quality car for ya.. I especially love pointing that out when folks go goo goo over this jalopy. Not going to fix it...wear loud and proud...Tesla cars are junk period.

Picking my car up mid September, hopefully it isn't bad :-/

Mine is so bad it looks like some amateur went at the doors with a white spray can over a gold base coat... I love it when folks look at that and they chuckle...then I say yeah...that's tesla American quality car for ya.. I especially love pointing that out when folks go goo goo over this jalopy. Not going to fix it...wear loud and proud...Tesla cars are junk period.
I mean that is one attitude to have I guess. Can you post pictures, would love to see it.

View attachment 584223 View attachment 584224 View attachment 584226

My car suffered from the same issues and I was able to align the doors properly after several hours of work. Tesla “tried” to align the doors but they simply can’t or won’t do it correctly. You were 100% correct to reject this garbage.

Reactions: Za_c and KyleATMn
My car suffered from the same issues and I was able to align the doors properly after several hours of work. Tesla “tried” to align the doors but they simply can’t or won’t do it correctly. You were 100% correct to reject this garbage.
That makes me feel better, thank you. It was really tough to walk away and I totally expected it wouldn't be perfect. I know Tesla is able to fix some issues and they are SO noncommittal... I would ask "is this able to be adjusted" and they would respond "we will do our best, if we can".... oh, so lukewarm. I was thinking you'd try just a medium amount? Haha

Posted in another thread. But... What do you guys think? I feel like its the same tone, but definitely different in how it reflects the light. Picked it up in bright sun light and could not tell. Now its darker, and sun going down (more yellow light), showing up a bit. This is my wife's car and she doesn't care at all. Right now, I'm not sure if I should be bothered by it or not. Sigh.

I never owned a white car before. But my wife loves the color. She told me its normal for plastic bumpers to reflect light differently. (Saw it on a brand new Acura MDX). I told her we should have just picked BLUE damnit. But she repeated to me again that she wanted white!

VIN 41xxx, build date 8/25

u99ha7l.jpg

clgbCas.jpg

LHjBenw.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland
Posted in another thread. But... What do you guys think? I feel like its the same tone, but definitely different in how it reflects the light. Picked it up in bright sun light and could not tell. Now its darker, and sun going down (more yellow light), showing up a bit. This is my wife's car and she doesn't care at all. Right now, I'm not sure if I should be bothered by it or not. Sigh.

I never owned a white car before. But my wife loves the color. She told me its normal for plastic bumpers to reflect light differently. (Saw it on a brand new Acura MDX). I told her we should have just picked BLUE damnit. But she repeated to me again that she wanted white!

u99ha7l.jpg

clgbCas.jpg

LHjBenw.jpg

Agree, as far as color match this is fine. Both of your rear doors need to be aligned though.

At this point, if I decide to take delivery and Tesla attempted to pawn one of these mismatched painted cars off on me, and they offered to have the entire car repainted at a certified body shop, I'd take them up on it. I honestly believe a good body shop will turn out a better painted MY (white) than Tesla can at this time.
A body shop will pretty much disassemble a large portion of the car for a complete repaint. There is a also a high probability they will crack the glass roof when trying to get it out. I know from experience.

u99ha7l.jpg

clgbCas.jpg

LHjBenw.jpg
This is fine. It looks like you got lucky!