Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White interior getting dirty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is awesome to hear about the white seats. I ordered a Red RWD-LR with white interior and was starting to worry about bluejean transfer on the front seats. Still waiting to hear what Tesla is going to do about the RWD order, but otherwise anxiously waiting on the deliveries to start!

We have a Y on order (white one). Now my wife is questioning whether she wants the white interior. Thoughts on this getting dirty over time? Seems like it would.

Ahhh! I also ordered a white on white. I thought about the interior acquiring dirt over time, too. I think that I will keep leather cleaner on hand and be very disciplined about cleaning when I see something show up. Also, I have no small children, the youngest is almost 18.

Ahhh! I also ordered a white on white. I thought about the interior acquiring dirt over time, too. I think that I will keep leather cleaner on hand and be very disciplined about cleaning when I see something show up. Also, I have no small children, the youngest is almost 18.

I originally ordered white on white, but changed it to the black interior. The white looks great (and should brighten what's otherwise a very dark cabin), but I know the color transfer from my clothes will drive me nuts and I'll be constantly trying to keep it clean.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Is that stuff easy to apply?
This exact product, Opti-Guard Leather, is certified pro-install only so you'll need to find someone near you to apply it properly.
I tested several of the consumer-grade leather coatings and have decided that I do not recommend wasting your time with them. If you cannot go with Opti-guard Leather, then I would just keep them as clean as possible with Optimum's Protectant Plus. It's a good cleaner and also has some UV blockers in it.

Is that stuff easy to apply?
I believe this particular product is only available to to be applied via a certified detailer who carries their product. It's not a self install product.

When doing research about the efficacy of these products, I often like to see first hand experiences, and while this video does show real results, the same can also be said about lots of YouTube videos that show people being able to clean their seats with baby wipes/warm or dish soap and some elbow grease.
  • DAErik literally wore brand new unwashed blue/black jeans to purposely get dye transfer onto the vehicle, and was able to get it out with baby wipes, dish soap/warm water or a cleaning product. His seats were never sealed beforehand.
  • Evan has cleaned his vehicle only once over the course of a 1+ year ownership with 11,000+ miles. He drives occasionally for the higher end lyft/uber, and works as a airport logistics (inside/outside environments tracking oil, fluids, and lubricants) and wears all his work clothes in his car with him. He was able to clean his seats with dawn dish soap and warm water.
On the other hand...
  • My Tesla Adventure has ceramic coated his seats with the product mentioned above (Opti-Guard Leather Ceramic Coating), did not wipe his seats for 8 months. They were VERY DIRTY and was able to scrub it mostly off with a product Optimum cleaning product. Could coating the seat have caused more dye/dirt transfer? Who knows! Wish someone would do half a seat with real world testing like @JasontheBeaver did in a Tesla vehicle
  • There is a forum where people who've had unfortunate luck with some items like black boot stains, belt stains, that have not been able to be removed at all
I'm personally leaning against spending the $300-$500 on this stuff, I'm not really convinced it does anything. My Tesla Adventure seemed to be doing even more scrubbing vs. DAErik and Evan with exact same results. I think there will always be some one offs, but I think the key is to keep some wipes on hand with you and try to do a quick wipe once a month or better (i.e. while supercharging, waiting for someone, etc...). If you're a bit OCD and must have pristine whiteout seats, probably better to chose the black option ;)

YMMV!

I believe this particular product is only available to to be applied via a certified detailer who carries their product. It's not a self install product.

When doing research about the efficacy of these products, I often like to see first hand experiences, and while this video does show real results, the same can also be said about lots of YouTube videos that show people being able to clean their seats with baby wipes/warm or dish soap and some elbow grease.
  • DAErik literally wore brand new unwashed blue/black jeans to purposely get dye transfer onto the vehicle, and was able to get it out with baby wipes, dish soap/warm water or a cleaning product. His seats were never sealed beforehand.
  • Evan has cleaned his vehicle only once over the course of a 1+ year ownership with 11,000+ miles. He drives occasionally for the higher end lyft/uber, and works as a airport logistics (inside/outside environments tracking oil, fluids, and lubricants) and wears all his work clothes in his car with him. He was able to clean his seats with dawn dish soap and warm water.
On the other hand...
  • My Tesla Adventure has ceramic coated his seats with the product mentioned above (Opti-Guard Leather Ceramic Coating), did not wipe his seats for 8 months. They were VERY DIRTY and was able to scrub it mostly off with a product Optimum cleaning product. Could coating the seat have caused more dye/dirt transfer? Who knows! Wish someone would do half a seat with real world testing like @JasontheBeaver did in a Tesla vehicle
  • There is a forum where people who've had unfortunate luck with some items like black boot stains, belt stains, that have not been able to be removed at all
I'm personally leaning against spending the $300-$500 on this stuff, I'm not really convinced it does anything. My Tesla Adventure seemed to be doing even more scrubbing vs. DAErik and Evan with exact same results. I think there will always be some one offs, but I think the key is to keep some wipes on hand with you and try to do a quick wipe once a month or better (i.e. while supercharging, waiting for someone, etc...). If you're a bit OCD and must have pristine whiteout seats, probably better to chose the black option ;)

YMMV!
Good observations and good points.
The thing that sold me on Opti-guard Leather is how much cleaner it keeps the seats, period. Meaning I don't need to clean the seat as often because of the coating. The benefit of stain-protection is just a bonus.

Good observations and good points.
The thing that sold me on Opti-guard Leather is how much cleaner it keeps the seats, period. Meaning I don't need to clean the seat as often because of the coating. The benefit of stain-protection is just a bonus.
Your video was definitely eye opening, and really made me do some more research. What really bugs me the most right now is that it's not a product that I can buy and apply myself. While I know there are other products, they just don't have a lot of tangible videos on Tesla seats in particular other than testimonials online of their efficacy/comparisons with other products.

If you can't tell, I like to research the crap out of things before I'm going to dish out the dough. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JasontheBeaver
Your video was definitely eye opening, and really made me do some more research. What really bugs me the most right now is that it's not a product that I can buy and apply myself. While I know there are other products, they just don't have a lot of tangible videos other than testimonials online of their efficacy/comparisons with other products.

If you can't tell, I like to research the crap out of things before I'm going to dish out the dough. :rolleyes:
See, I LOVE it when people research like this. There's so much misleading information out there!
So even though I earn my living applying ceramic coatings, I don't always recommend them for everyone, because everyone has different requirements and expectations.
For the soccer mom who just needs to use her car as a transportation tool and isn't very concerned with its daily appearance, ceramic coatings are perfect for her because it saves her the time and money of regular cleaning while still maintaining resale value.
But for the person who actually enjoys cleaning/detailing their car on a regular basis and doesn't mind spending time and money on good products, and will get some satisfaction from doing the work themselves, paying for a professional coating may not be worth it.

Your video was definitely eye opening, and really made me do some more research. What really bugs me the most right now is that it's not a product that I can buy and apply myself. While I know there are other products, they just don't have a lot of tangible videos on Tesla seats in particular other than testimonials online of their efficacy/comparisons with other products.

What bugs me the most is that a protective coating is not applied at the factory. Even if I had to pay an extra few hundred for the premium interior on a $60,000 car.

What bugs me the most is that a protective coating is not applied at the factory. Even if I had to pay an extra few hundred for the premium interior on a $60,000 car.
This is a common complaint that I hear often from new car buyers. The answer is that manufacturers do everything they can to keep their prices down, and if they don't see a profit potential from an additional service/product/option, they're simply not going to do it.
Also, car dealerships have pressed manufacturers to leave these kind of simple "add-ons" for them to sell and apply to help boost their profits. The argument here is that only people that are willing to pay for the option are paying for it.
The problem with this is that dealerships are notorious snakes and will flat-out lie to your face about what their coating can do for you. They require no ethics because:
a) their turnover is so high that by the time you realize their coating is worthless and not performing the way he promised you, he's already gone and working for another dealership somewhere.
b) they hide behind their warranty which is worthless if you actually read it (which no one ever does)
c) failure of the coating will require a Herculean effort on your part to hassle them and continue to follow up until they approve your claim. They all use the effective tactic of deny every claim first, then when pressed on the issue just ghost your ass until you go away.
d) dealerships are not affected by negative online reviews because they have what you want, and it can be very difficult to choose an alternative dealership for the same car you're wanting to buy.
(Of course these dealership arguments don't apply to Tesla for obvious reasons, but I wanted to provide information on the entire industry).

On the other hand, small independant ceramic coating installers are heavily affected by online reviews and the opinion of their repeat customers. They cannot get away with (nor do they want to) the dealership's tactics because they rely on repeat customers and their online reputation to stay in business.

So back to manufacturers applying ceramic coatings; imagine this scenario...
A car manufacturer is trying to justify their car being priced $3,000 more than their competition, and the only reason it's $3,000 more is because it has ceramic coating on the leather, exterior glass, and exterior paint. Now they have to educate the public on the values of these items; but educating the public is VERY expensive, and for the manufacturers the cost of that education just isn't worth the payback.

However the cost of me educating each client that comes through my door is pretty cheap because it only involves a conversation, a demonstration, and a guarantee on my part that the coating will perform as I've promised. I don't need thousands of customers buying my product/service like the manufacturers need.

Reactions: iustin
My wife and I decided on white interior because we have dogs. They're corgis, so there is light coloured fur all over the black interior of our Model 3. Hoping it shows less on white seats!
Fellow Corgi owner here, but a fluffy!

Attachments

• shortstack001.jpg
    shortstack001.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 72