TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

White Seats and Jeans...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Matthew XC, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Matthew XC

Matthew XC Member

Hey, so I ordered a Model S 75D with white seats and it’s coming Mid-March. I asked the dealership if I could do a 24 hour test drive and in that time the white seats have a bunch of blue dye on them from my jeans..I haven’t tried cleaning it yet since I’m not sure what product to use but this is worrying me since mine is the same color and I often wear jeans. Any advice/thoughts on this?

2. Tiger

Tiger Member

Answer is simple. Get black seats or washable seat covers.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 4
  3. pEAkfrEAk

pEAkfrEAk Member

That's strange. I'm driving my S75D with ultra-white seats for nearly 3 month and 6000km (2700mi) and I always wear blue jeans. Up to now the seats look brand new without any dye.

4. barjohn

barjohn Member

Note that the Tesla owner's manual warns you against seat covers as they could interfere with airbag deployment. I would be cautious.

• Informative x 1
  5. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

OP assume the jeans are fairly new? Many times when we go to wash newly purchased blue jeans they release a lot of blue dye in the wash water and even color things during the wash cycle if the material is light enough. White pocket liners typically get "dyed" a slight blue. I use Shout's Color Catcher in my wash with anything new and especially a vibrant (like red) or dark color (sometimes even black). But I think you can expect to have some color transfer if the material hasn't been washed a few times. Color Catcher does trap alot of the excess dye that would otherwise transfer elsewhere and you might want to think about using it on any new clothing wear purchases before wearing. We have black seats so not an issue for us...at least one that we can see.

Shout® Color Catcher®

6. Ande

Ande Member

is that leather or some other seat material ? - my car is used for 40000km and no such effect, luckily, but these posts are kind of scary :)

7. pEAkfrEAk

pEAkfrEAk Member

It's faux leather or as Tesla call it: "vegan leather"

8. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

They told me when I picked up my car (with white seats) to not wear "new" blue jeans. I got a new pair of jeans about two months later, so made sure I didn't wear them until they have been in the wash three times. I have worn them since and no issues. Apparently the blue is easy to clean off...hoping I don't have to find out.

9. Matthew XC

Matthew XC Member

Thank you that's great advice. Yes, I haven't washed them yet. I will certainly try that, but Tessa informed me that even if it does happen a damp cloth usually gets all jean transfer off of the white seats.

10. Matthew XC

Matthew XC Member

Will wash them a few times before I take deliver. Good to know!

11. Mediocrates

Mediocrates Member

I don't think it will help. I've never worn unwashed jeans in my vehicle, and I wear jeans less than half of the time I'm regularly driving (typically work commute). I had transfer on the sides and on the bottom of my driver seat within a few thousand miles. The dye transfer has progressed since I first noticed it.

For reference, I'm 5 foot 9 and around 190lbs. I have a muscular build with a healthy bodyfat percentage. The majority of men (in the United States) would have a larger girth around the waist/abdomen area, which is where the transfer is most prominent on the sides of the seats.

12. nnick01

nnick01 Member

I have the transfer. You can get it out (mostly) with rubbing alcohol. It takes work though.

13. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Maybe it's more of a problem with certain brands of jeans? I wear Wranglers. I've worn jeans to work every Friday since I got my car in March of last year, and haven't had any transfer.

14. Mediocrates

Mediocrates Member

I took some pictures of the color transfer on the driver seat in my vehicle. I have 13k miles, during which I've worn jeans less than half of the time (probably in between 1/4 and 1/2 of those miles). All of the jeans were washed prior to wear. I wear other colored pants/shorts that aren't jeans.

These pictures show the lower back of the seat and the lower portion of the sides.

Seats1.jpg Seats2.jpg Seats3.jpg