Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Washed Instrument Cluster (CID) - Failing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

So lately as I get into my car the CID is just black and the car unable to start while the MCU is fine.

It would come on after a minute or maybe more, or after some mashing of the 2 top buttons on the steering wheel in an attempt to restart it.

Once it comes on, the screen it completely white and then very very slowly, the screen returns to normal (30mins or so)

Is this normal? Prior to this, I have only ever had this happen once before after a long day in the sun, and now it seems to be happening almost daily.

Has this happened to anyone else? What causes it?

I am currently under warranty but just concerned that when I take it to Tesla, they will say it's not broken as it returns to normal after a while... but while it is black the car wont start which is also very concerning because I fear that complete failure seems inevitable and I'd be stuck needing a tow.

So I just want more understanding and be able to arm myself against whatever Tesla Service Center will say to brush me off...

I have attached some photos... it happens whether it is day or night...

Attachments

• IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6216.jpg
    IMG_6216.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 65
I am currently under warranty but just concerned that when I take it to Tesla, they will say it's not broken as it returns to normal after a while... but while it is black the car wont start which is also very concerning because I fear that complete failure seems inevitable and I'd be stuck needing a tow.
They say that about everything now, but this looks like it's a warranty replacement thing. Replace it soon so you don't have to worry about getting towed.

When it happens, voice command "bookmark screen was off" or "bug report it wasn't working" - these will add markers in your car's logs for them to find the errors.