Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Gets the S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only time my wife and I have ever "fought" over who got to drive a certain car was when we only owned one EV.

They decided that whomever would be driving the FARTHEST would get to drive the car.

I agree that this is a great metric; many families end up doing this after they get their first EV. The EV is generally the smoother and quieter car, and has the cheap/clean/domestic benefits of electricity as fuel that matter to families that buy them, so why not milk those benefits and use it for the longest trips? (Trips longer than the car can go on one charge are the exception for some drivers, though not for others).

It does mean the other family member has to suffer with a gas car. That is why many single-EV families end up buying two EVs...my wife wasn't at all interested in my first EV (a used RAV4) until after it arrived and she tried it a few times. That's when we came up with the "who is driving farther today" metric. While that metric made a lot of sense, it usually meant she got the car. So four months later, I ordered a Roadster.

I thought we'd then be fighting over who got the Roadster; but fortunately my wife preferred the RAV4. She doesn't care about the performance (full speed in the Roadster gives her a headache), and the RAV4 had better space and visibility and was easier for her to get in to, so we were both happy. Then we sold the RAV4 to get the Model S...

...and we are both still happy. She prefers the roomier Model S, and I prefer the smaller, zippier and more efficient Roadster (except on road trips; but on those she either comes with me or so far has been willing to trade for a short while).

Last edited:
My wife got the last 3! Since I got my 2004 Land Rover Discovery, she's had a Suburban, a BMW 535, and now a Range Rover (she leases)...To add insult to injury, my 'Disco is in the process of dying a rather un-noble death ($4-5K in repairs, vs. $1K trade-in), so I have to share her car now until my Model S arrives Mid-January(ish) :/ . She claims to have no interest in my Model S (Mostly due to range anxiety)...But she does have an appreciation for cars (she's a former Corvette owner), and she does love a shiny new thing...I'm guessing she'll have a deposit in for a Model X by Valentines Day ;)

He got the last 2 cars. This one is mine!

My wife got the last 3! Since I got my 2004 Land Rover Discovery, she's had a Suburban, a BMW 535, and now a Range Rover (she leases)...To add insult to injury, my 'Disco is in the process of dying a rather un-noble death ($4-5K in repairs, vs. $1K trade-in), so I have to share her car now until my Model S arrives Mid-January(ish) :/ . She claims to have no interest in my Model S (Mostly due to range anxiety)...But she does have an appreciation for cars (she's a former Corvette owner), and she does love a shiny new thing...I'm guessing she'll have a deposit in for a Model X by Valentines Day ;)

My husband has already decided his next car will be a Tesla as well. All electric family. WooHoo!

A couple of days ago my wife informed me that although she had mastered the Smartphone before me, and was therefore sure she would be more prepared to operate the Model S than me, she was going to wait for me to put the first ding on it before driving it. :rolleyes:

Larry

I really enjoy this thread, as it actually discusses a rather important issue.
When I ordered the S, I asked my wife "what kind of car do you want to replace your Kia Cee'd with? How about a Leaf (which she enjoyed a lot to drive during the 3 days we loaned it for test drives), a Focus EV or you wanna get a Tesla as well?". Her reply was; "I really want a small, cute Toyota iQ - with the smallest engine availible". Got her a iQ2 2 weeks ago, with the small 1.0L 68hp engine and "all availible optional equiptment. As of now she is really happy, and doesn't even really care about the test-drive, as she thinks the S is too big for her after seeing it... I wonder how fast that will change when it arrives... ...