Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who got their $5k refund?

Did you get your $5k PUP refund yet?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 93.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one was authorized to do anything between Friday and now.

I’m sure they will discuss on Monday at the all directors meeting they will be having.

The only grey area I see is those who took P- deliveries between Friday and now.

I’m curious myself how this goes - as there is such a thing as pushing Elon too far.

If I were Tesla I would be working on strategies to not give money back directly.

It’s bad for the bottom line and sets a precedence.

The best thing they could have done was to force bundle PUP and raise the P package by 3750. Drop new P package by 3750 on deliveries post Dec 31.

That would have been a 4D chess move.

Second 4D chess move is to give all pre drop buyers unlimited FUSC and offer it as a sales option for new buyers. $5000.

Tesla now has to think very carefully as if one check goes out, tens of thousands will need to go out

Should be interesting to see what they do.

Can someone please clarify what this is regarding? Where can I find this information?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Nevermind. Wow I literally just ordered and picked up my car with the PUP. Although, it sounds as though Elon genuinely feels bad and will do right by people who ordered it.

Last edited:
This probably won't be a popular post, but IF there is a $5k refund, and your car is financed, shouldn't the refund go to the bank as a principal payment?

Bank won’t know, bank won’t care.

Unless somehow they are not wanting you to finance an extra 5K on top of the actual loan amount.

I guess you can have a 0 LTV by applying 5K refund as a down payment.

Huge if depending what happens in the coming days.

• Funny
Reactions: gambit48 and P85_DA
Bank won’t know, bank won’t care.

Unless somehow they are not wanting you to finance an extra 5K on top of the actual loan amount.

I guess you can have a 0 LTV by applying 5K refund as a down payment.

Huge if depending what happens in the coming days.

Not talking about down payments, talking about M3P that have already been delivered. The $5k in pocket might give certain people the idea that they are now upside down on the loan and have made a "profit" with the refund and it's time for them to stop making their payments.

• Disagree
Reactions: gambit48
Not talking about down payments, talking about M3P that have already been delivered. The $5k in pocket might give certain people the idea that they are now upside down on the loan and have made a "profit" with the refund and it's time for them to stop making their payments.

Confused by what you mean. You are going to get a monthly statement from your financial institution for the same amount due every month through the duration of your term.

There’s nothing anywhere that would stop any payments?

If you have a million in home debt and you make a 990,000 principle payment, you are still going to owe the full monthly payment of 5200 for two months.

Reactions: CullinKin
Confused by what you mean. You are going to get a monthly statement from your financial institution for the same amount due every month through the duration of your term.

There’s nothing anywhere that would stop any payments?

If you have a million in home debt and you make a 990,000 principle payment, you are still going to owe the full monthly payment of 5200 for two months.

A principal payment of $5K would end your payments sooner, or, if your finance company will allow you to keep the same payment schedule with a lower monthly payment.

I wonder how that will work for people that leased. Their residual amount was based on the old list price and if they get a $5k check that would be a win for them as the leasing company actually owns the car that costs $5k less after the fact.

Personally, I'm hoping they might announce another option for those of us who wouldn't mind something but don't want to strain Tesla financially.

Something that doesn't cost them nearly as much, but would still be a nice gesture. A VIP invite, priority firmware access (as in the new referral program), Elon records my voicemail message (/s), half-price PowerWall, or the like.

While this price change and the Performance/Performance Package was a bit messy, things happen when you're grown so fast (and crushing it, I might add). I think many just want to feel appreciated or be reassured as early adopters. It's not necessarily about "cash."

Or, am I just complicating things and making it worse? :)
I hope so as well. More options are good and many might prefer something other than cash.

Free FSD or EAP, wall charger, heck maybe priority reservation for solar roof tiles. So many options.

Reactions: MarkS22
This probably won't be a popular post, but IF there is a $5k refund, and your car is financed, shouldn't the refund go to the bank as a principal payment?
I don't see why. Banks don't monitor cars for depreciation to ensure any sort of LTV percentage is maintained. I added EAP post delivery to my car and my bank didn't offer to loan me another 6k. ;)