Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the Continental Winter SI on my RWD LR yesterday and immediately noticed this effect. Posted on the Canadian Model 3 Owners group and someone pointed me to this thread. Has anyone reported to Tesla? Anything else we can do to resolve this issue?
Gonna have to check this issue out when I get my tires and rims on. Have Continental Winter Si’s as well but with aftermarket rims.

RWD here. I swapped for the Nokia Hakka 9 studded tires onto the 18" aero rim in early October. As described by the OP, regen is limited in higher speeds. In lower speed (under 30 km/h), the difference is not as noticeable.

In the first week it is difficult to get used to but now I'm fine with it. Yes I had to use conventional brakes more often. There is another fellow driver with same studded tires and we have the same experience.

Honestly, it's not a big deal but I do prefer the regular Regen on the all season stock tires.

Edit: the problem was actually more pronounced in V8. I think the Regen reduction has been improved in V9. Either the software update improved the issue, or I'm simply getting used to it.

Interesting theory from another board:

Were the new TPMS sensors cloned from the factory originals? When you swap between the winter and summer wheels, does the car have to "rediscover" the new TPMS sensors and ask you to provide the wheel diameter? If not, then they are cloned from the original sensors.

The theory is that if the sensors are cloned they are now spinning faster than the car expects them to be, and it's confused.

Don’t know if this is the solution but it’s interesting

Interesting theory from another board:

Were the new TPMS sensors cloned from the factory originals? When you swap between the winter and summer wheels, does the car have to "rediscover" the new TPMS sensors and ask you to provide the wheel diameter? If not, then they are cloned from the original sensors.

The theory is that if the sensors are cloned they are now spinning faster than the car expects them to be, and it's confused.

Don’t know if this is the solution but it’s interesting

I actually do not have TPMS in my winter aero rims. That theory wouldn't stand in my case at least.

Benz uses ABS sensors to detect speed of each wheel for their TPMS systems (C-class) instead of real TPMS sensors. Perhaps, Tesla uses ABS sensors to monitor each wheel speed for another purpose and got thrown off by the new tires. Probably is just an adjustment thing that they need to roll out in firmware.

Torque and centrifugal forces maybe at work. The tire guy said my rims were very heavy (I haven't compared them to the stock yet).

Heavier rims + winters = more centrifugal forces driving the wheels forward to the point where it's beyond the motor's regen safe limits so it reduces regen to avoid damage to the mechanical gear components. That's my best guess at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
Benz uses ABS sensors to detect speed of each wheel for their TPMS systems (C-class) instead of real TPMS sensors. Perhaps, Tesla uses ABS sensors to monitor each wheel speed for another purpose and got thrown off by the new tires. Probably is just an adjustment thing that they need to roll out in firmware.

Given that regen does not rely on any action of the brakes, TPMS should have no involvement with it.
Incidentally, the new software version 42.1 has increased regen, according to the release notes.

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
Maybe someone here knows whether the TPMS information is in fact used by the regen system

The TPMS data is used by the regen braking system. I had an issue earlier where the TPMS were reading pressure as too low when the tires were cold (cold night, car left outside). The TPMS warning would go off, and usually after driving it for an hour or so the tires would warm up and the PSI readings would increase. Twice the readings were particuarly low (~34psi) and I lost regen braking. I got a specific warning the regen was limited. When the tires warmed up and psi readings increased, regen went back to normal. I actually took it into service to deal with this, he increased the default psi level for the sensors, thus no more alarms would be triggered. The tech told me the regen turns itself off if tire pressure gets too low, as it impacts the shape of the tire itself.

And... I just got winters installed, and regen is now non-existent below 40km.

Just emailed service, with a link to this thread, I don't want this to go on all winter. I'll post an update when I hear back.

Last edited:
I just installed 18” Aero Xi3’s on a P3D- yesterday.

I’m still getting the same regen at all speeds.

This was on dry roads and I spent a good 15 miles driving it hard to get it into full regen mode because it was about 50 F out.

They are quieter than the Primacy’s too. I’m psyched.

They certainly don’t handle as well as Primacy’s though. Which is to be expected.

The Xi3’s are on Aero 18” rims with covers. And TPMS from tire rack (Continental 433hz). Car synced up to them on their own. after a “reset TPMS” message popped up. They are reading about 1 pound low from my manual gauge. As were the factory ones. But they might have been reading a pound high. I forget.

I’ve been reading the forums awhile and found this one interesting. I usually don’t contribute to online forums but I did speak with a tech yesterday and thought I’d create an account to post what I was told. I should also say that I emailed a link to this thread to the president of the Ontario owners association John Dixon and it was sent to the eastern regional service manager. The tech that took the time with me yesterday knew of that email. So here’s what I was told basically:

They had no idea how widespread the issue was and they are absolutely 100% on it. They understand it’s not the state of charge or temperature of the battery causing the problem.

The tech was informative and great to shoot the breeze with about the issue. I thanked him for taking the time to discuss it. Anyway, they know of the issue and are working on it.
I thought everyone would like to know that. As we get closer to winter I imagine more people will report the issue and narrowing down the vehicles affected is a good strategy to help.

Yes, I just posted just that like 2-3 posts back.

A lot of folks that have said they have no regen have not commented on their TPMS status. This could all be a TPMS issue vs a snow tire issue.

I saw that. I should have asked if anyone with RWD had it.

I agree there is some thought that the tpms cloning could be the issue here so I’m wondering how many with the issue got the tpms reset after driving for a bit.

Last edited: