Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has the boasting right to #1 updated to v8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the point I was trying to make is that if you are holding the wheel even lightly you probably won't get any nags at all, so it isn't an issue.

It's only if you 'drive' with your hands in your lap that the software will annoy you.

I pretty much always hold the wheel when I have autopilot on but I am not gripping it tightly. The car does not sense me holding the wheel so I still get the nags. I've found that it is indeed best to have my hands on the wheel because every once in a while the car does something crazy, but I wish it was better about detecting that I do in fact have my hands on the wheel.

Reactions: Hengist
And what does Musk do, he plays around on twitter all day, the day when he promised the highly anticipated AP update. Or plays with his rockets, or his solar stuff, or his train vision. Wasn't he ousted as the CEO in all his prior companies? Maybe he can pull it off, I just don't see how. Sorry for the rant
It was indeed a rant. Rudeness will get you nowhere. Tesla is definitely on the path to profitability in part due to the unprecedented demand for its products, even products that it is a year away from actually producing (ever other car company would love to have the "problem" of hundreds of thousands of deposits made for a car that very few have seen and no reservation holders have even driven!). Vehicle manufacturing is a capital intensive business. Profits take many years to start showing. I will bet you have no experience being the CEO of a car company or a rocket company or anything comparable. Yet you act like you know it all.

8.0 is now out. @sukeband posted at about 0445 (I don't know what time zone he/she is in) that got 8.0 and posted a link to screenshots of the "what's new" screens.

You can also read about 8.0 on Tesla's website at Software 8.0 is Here

Back on topic...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the screenshots!

Lots of improvements also for Classics. I'm just disappointed that the navigation still only provides a route based on energy consumption. I was hoping for a choice between faster and efficient routing. Probably version 9 when Waze integration will arrive :)
Probably different than you or I had wanted on route selection but there is a new settings on Maps/Navigation to show you if a route is faster based on your time saving criteria. It's the bottom button on the screenshots I saw. Before, if you had it turned on it was just automatically route you around a traffic jam.

Well, the point I was trying to make is that if you are holding the wheel even lightly you probably won't get any nags at all, so it isn't an issue.

It's only if you 'drive' with your hands in your lap that the software will annoy you.

I understand your point but the update removes the point of autosteer. Autosteer should be an assistance to help you relax your shoulders, neck and make you arrive more relaxed than if you'd be driving and holding on to your steeringwheel. It might not be a problem but it's a definitive downgrade in that regard.

I pretty much always hold the wheel when I have autopilot on but I am not gripping it tightly. The car does not sense me holding the wheel so I still get the nags. I've found that it is indeed best to have my hands on the wheel because every once in a while the car does something crazy, but I wish it was better about detecting that I do in fact have my hands on the wheel.

That's pretty much where I am. Are you still getting the false prompt after this week's security update, though?

I didn't get them today, and I feel like I got fewer yesterday, so I'm thinking the car is doing a better job of sensing now.

Anyone read the line stating
"While you drive, Autopilot now captures a continuous picture of the world through radar. When combined with data from other vehicles in the fleet, this will enable a significant enhancement to emergency braking capabilities in future releases."

If I get it right, that means, that in 8.0 the radar data is only getting collected and perhaps with 8.1, 8.2 or 9.0 the fleet data will be combined and influence the emergency braking. I'm quite disappointed, because Teslas blog post suggested, that all of the outlined new AP features will be included in the upcoming release.

"While you drive, Autopilot now captures a continuous picture of the world through radar. When combined with data from other vehicles in the fleet, this will enable a significant enhancement to emergency braking capabilities in future releases."

If I get it right, that means, that in 8.0 the radar data is only getting collected and perhaps with 8.1, 8.2 or 9.0 the fleet data will be combined and influence the emergency braking. I'm quite disappointed, because Teslas blog post suggested, that all of the outlined new AP features will be included in the upcoming release.

Yeah, I was surprised by that text. Before today, I was pretty sure that the car would start braking on 8.0 as soon as they had enough passes to build confidence in the whitelist.

That language seems rather clear that the current version of 8.0 won't brake on radar alone, though.

I find it very interesting how many people seem to be stating they get nags even when holding the steering wheel. I probably only use autopilot for ~20% of my driving which is only a couple hundred miles so far, but I don't think I have EVER gotten a nag. Just loosely holding the steering wheel (usually my right hand at 3 o'clock) seems to be more than enough to avoid it.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and Sather
I understand your disappointment that Tesla is not implementing revolutionary new car features as quickly as you would like. But perhaps you should temper your disappointment by considering that Tesla has a responsibility to introduce features when the company judges it is safe to do so, and not on your personal schedule.

Reactions: vandacca
I don't think iPod is supported anyway except through Bluetooth.

Correct and just about every other car does support iPod. It's sort of like coat hooks. There are some things I wish Tesla would cave on and go ahead and support that just about every other car has. For example, what other cars require you to tell it that you have finished a voice command? What other cars don't accept "Call John Doe at work?" For a car so advanced in other media areas such as streaming media, I consider these big omissions.

I find it very interesting how many people seem to be stating they get nags even when holding the steering wheel. I probably only use autopilot for ~20% of my driving which is only a couple hundred miles so far, but I don't think I have EVER gotten a nag. Just loosely holding the steering wheel (usually my right hand at 3 o'clock) seems to be more than enough to avoid it.

It's like the iPhone 4. We are holding it wrong.

I understand your disappointment that Tesla is not implementing revolutionary new car features as quickly as you would like. But perhaps you should temper your disappointment by considering that Tesla has a responsibility to introduce features when the company judges it is safe to do so, and not on your personal schedule.
Exactly.

Plus the slightly obvious point that they JUST PUSHED this update. This is the FIRST one that allows for the data collection. Given that you can't bypass the basic laws of physics or the universe (as Elon would be the first to point out), the data collection TAKES TIME. It has always been stated this way, and to a thinking person it's inherently obvious that the collection phase will be necessary.

I do think however that the additional radar braking is already in effect for any event where the car has certainty. For instance they have already stated that it's looking at the car in front of the car in front and might act based on that information.

An AMAZING leap IMHO, and one that will just continue to improve. Given.......time!!

Reactions: Chopr147
Just loosely holding the steering wheel (usually my right hand at 3 o'clock) seems to be more than enough to avoid it.

Holding it at 3 o'clock means that the weight of your hand creates torque on the wheel, which is what the car senses. Some people put their hand more towards the bottom of the wheel, which means that the weight produces much less torque, often too little for the car to sense. Moving your hand to a place where it creates more torque is a workaround for that problem.

Reactions: msnow