Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who here bought in March and bought autopilot for $2K through a trial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Redoing my thread from yesterday after finding that Tesla offered a special trial to some owners who purchased in March where they could buy basic autopilot for $2000.

Who was able to do that.

I would like to have Tesla allow me to buy at that price since they never offered me the trial. So looking for those who did it.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar
Your other thread was fine, just change the title.

And you’re trying to get Tesla to change a price for you for something that happened 9 months ago. Just move on

I admit the timing is strange but here is why:

When I bought my car, I took delivery on March 30. I had autopilot on the car at time of delivery.

less than two weeks later Tesla announced all new cars sold would have basic autopilot so I just thought that was why I had it.

Over the summer the car started to have intermittent problems. Autopilot stopped working but so did several other things like the auto headlights and auto wipers and the cars and lines would disappear from my display.

in October it finally became a permanent problem so I made a service appointment.

when I took the car in they had to replace the autopilot computer. When I got the car back it had no autopilot and I asked why and they said I didn’t purchase it.

I told them I had it and they said it must have been a delivery mistake and now I have exactly what I paid for.

that is fine but now I want to pay a fair price for it. I feel that the fair price is $2000 since that was the price increase on April 12 for those who had it included in their cars, but also because that is the price that many other people like me who purchased in March apparently paid through this trial thing.

Tesla is simply asking me to provide examples of folks who paid that price and purchased during that time.

I saw one fellow in my other thread who did pay $2000 during an autopilot trial at that time and I am simply looking for others who also did the same.

that will hopefully let Tesla know that what I am asking for is the fair price for basic autopilot at the time that I purchase the car.

reasonable right?

I think Tesla could point out you knew you didn't pay for AP when you picked up the car- at a time when nobody got it for free.

So if you chose to not buy it until now, the reasonable thing is you would pay the now price.

Reactions: mnevar
I think Tesla could point out you knew you didn't pay for AP when you picked up the car- at a time when nobody got it for free.

So if you chose to not buy it until now, the reasonable thing is you would pay the now price.
Except it sounds like this car in specific was right on the line between getting it as part of the purchase price, and getting that $2K offer, and may have slipped between the cracks. It's not an entirely unreasonable ask.

Except it sounds like this car in specific was right on the line between getting it as part of the purchase price, and getting that $2K offer, and may have slipped between the cracks. It's not an entirely unreasonable ask.

They took delivery 2 weeks before anything changed...weren't even still in the return period.

It sounds like they had AP left turned on by accident (I mean- they obviously knew they never paid for it) and just didn't ask until they no longer had it.... at which point the price was higher than it used to be.

I'm not saying it's super unreasonable- but neither would Tesla saying no be. And usually when you ask for a price that no longer exists the answer is no.

(See all the folks who paid $3000 as early FSD adopters who were SUPER PISSED during the $2000 sale for something that hadn't yet even been delivered to them (and STILL hasn't been almost a year after the discount sale)--- AFAIK zero of them got a refund to the lower price.

Honest advice:

The energy you would spend on this endeavor + low probability of success is not worth $1K. Generating more revenue, cutting expenses to close that $1K gap I think is the best course of action here.

The number of people on EAP and zero AP is getting more minuscule by the day. Tesla will not bother themselves chasing "potential" edge scenarios. Sorry to say. :(

Honest advice:

The energy you would spend on this endeavor + low probability of success is not worth $1K. Generating more revenue, cutting expenses to close that $1K gap I think is the best course of action here.

The number of people on EAP and zero AP is getting more minuscule by the day. Tesla will not bother themselves chasing "potential" edge scenarios. Sorry to say. :(

Thanks for the advice, but I am not a millionaire. $1000 is a lot of money to me. Spending some time talking to people is ok with me. Even if I don't get Tesla to make it right by me.

BTW, thank you all for the replies over the past couple days, it is all helpful to me. Nightshade and Dopeghoti, your comments are right on. Tesla is saying that the price is the price. Doesn't matter if there was a mistake or not. They bend for no one or nothing. Of course, along the way there have been a few unprofessional things that various sales and service people have said to me.

While this is what I would expect of my cellular phone company. I kind of think Tesla might want to rethink their customer service.

After telling my story, and asking for a discount on the autopilot that I no longer have, one service person actually kinda blew up at me and said Tesla doesn't give away anything, then he stomped off.

I really wasn't expecting that.

All I did was ask for a discount based on Tesla's mistake. To me, my request seemed totally reasonable. At the very least he could have just referred me to sales and kept a straight face. Must have been a really bad day.

I imagine it's frustrating to Tesla employees that the company often changes price and direction- seemingly at random- and seemingly while doing a terrible job of communicating that to their own employees.

Remember early this year when Tesla basically announced "Hey we're actually gonna close down nearly all our in-person sales centers and fire everyone there..." then a few days later was like JUST KIDDING!?

There's also the issue that Tesla stores are all company owned... so it's not like you're going to a franchise dealership where the manager really has both power and available money to make individual exceptions or concessions easily.

(For that matter the franchise guy has some added incentive to do so since he has a lot more competition too)

And while I recognize your request seems reasonable to you, it could also sound like "Hey you guys already screwed up by giving me this for free for 7 months- now that you fixed THAT I want it back at a 33% discount"