Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who needs a Charging Infrastructure anyways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lemmie tell you a little story. Early 2015, I took my Model S from Switzerland to the North Cape in Norway. Way up north, we needed to get some R&R and the car needed juice too.

But we where in the middle of nowhere, around 100km west of Alta, at 23:00 and no Charger in sight. A couple of hundred meters from the hotel though, there was a gas station. But wait, we where driving a car that has no idea what to do with "Dino Juice"...

But i'm a clever bastard. Behind the gas station they had a large trash compactor. It has a nice big red industrial 3-phase 16A plug. Hmmmm.
So I went into the gas station and asked the lady if I could unplug their trash-compactor and plug in my car for the night? Sure Sir, no problem. We don't use the compactor at night anyway (noise).

So the car charged during the night while we looked inside our eyelids and the next morning, unplugged the car, plugged the compactor back in and on our way we went towards Alta. And the gas station did not charge any money. How nice is that.

Moral of the story: A charging infrastructure is overrated. All you need is a trash-compactor and an "EV travel kit" with every type of plug and adapter you could encounter in the region that you are in.

Reactions: PStewart
A charging infrastructure is overrated.
All you need is a trash-compactor and an "EV travel kit" with every type of plug and adapter you could encounter in the region that you are in.
Well, unless you are the only car needing juice and you can spend the night, this works fine...

Do you have a video or some pictures to share, this must have been a very unique trip to reach the North Cape.

I imagine that you have been watching some of Bjørn Nyland YouTube videos

Last edited:
Half way up Norway, we learned of the existence of Bjorn Nyland and he had some video's about his trip. We gained some ideas from that for sure.

Pictures and videos: Several terra-bytes of GoPro footage and hundreds of pictures yes. But i'm not the "throwing my life on the internet" kind of person (I don't do Instagram either, for the same reason).

But I'll share a few pictures here:
IMG_0375.jpg
IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0402.jpg
IMG_0495.jpg