Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who pays Supercharging electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

Just out of curiosity. In Japan Tesla opened the last SC in last March and nothing since then. Total of only six SCs. I'm wondering whether Tesla pays for land lease and electricity. Apparently if Tesla pays both, it should be easy even here to open new SCs I guess.

I once heard somewhere that Tesla lease the land for free. That is understandable. How about electricity cost?

Just out of curiosity. In Japan Tesla opened the last SC in last March and nothing since then. Total of only six SCs. I'm wondering whether Tesla pays for land lease and electricity. Apparently if Tesla pays both, it should be easy even here to open new SCs I guess.

I once heard somewhere that Tesla lease the land for free. That is understandable. How about electricity cost?

Tesla pays for the electricity. It's reported as an "immaterial" amount in their financial disclosures. I think the cost for leasing of the spaces varies depending on what they negotiate.

I've heard that "high-end' retail outlets in California are willing to negotiate sweetheart deals in order to attract Tesla drivers/customers. They don't realize we spent all our money on our cars.

:wink:

The problem here is Chicken and Egg (sort of). Only a few hundred Teslas and a few, inconvenient Superchargers won't convince retailers, let alone highway plazas, one of which attracts 30 thousand visitors a DAY already.