TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who pays Supercharging electricity?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by hiroshiy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Just out of curiosity. In Japan Tesla opened the last SC in last March and nothing since then. Total of only six SCs. I'm wondering whether Tesla pays for land lease and electricity. Apparently if Tesla pays both, it should be easy even here to open new SCs I guess.

I once heard somewhere that Tesla lease the land for free. That is understandable. How about electricity cost?

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Tesla pays for the electricity. It's reported as an "immaterial" amount in their financial disclosures. I think the cost for leasing of the spaces varies depending on what they negotiate.

3. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel Member

I've heard that "high-end' retail outlets in California are willing to negotiate sweetheart deals in order to attract Tesla drivers/customers. They don't realize we spent all our money on our cars.

:wink:

4. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Thanks Mike! Relieved to hear that. Maybe in Japan land leasing is too expensive. However, Japan is expensive and Tesla need to understand that...

5. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

The problem here is Chicken and Egg (sort of). Only a few hundred Teslas and a few, inconvenient Superchargers won't convince retailers, let alone highway plazas, one of which attracts 30 thousand visitors a DAY already.