Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Uses a Key Fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's mostly why I use the frunk only for charging equipment, tire repair stuff, etc -- things I almost never need. I'm also always a little nervous when I close it given the special instructions in the owner's manual. It feels a little flimsy to me and I'm nervous I'll just bend it some time.

Keep in mind the Frunk is not secure. It can be opened without unlocking the car. Even if most owners don't know this, rest assured thieves know it. I keep nothing in the Frunk other than temporary things like luggage on the way to the airport or groceries. It would get more use if it was on auto-open like all the other doors in the car.

When using the FOB without a phone or keycard, can you drive the car without taking it out of your pocket?

I can in my X, that's all I ever do. I have the app on my phone, but I don't think I have it set to unlock the car automatically. The problem with the keyfob is that it works over absurdly long distances. So being in my pocket will occasionally open a rear door while I'm in the house 100 feet away!!!

Reactions: Mr. Big
When using the FOB without a phone or keycard, can you drive the car without taking it out of your pocket?

Yes.

One of my reasons for getting a key fob hasn't been mentioned yet. I frequently have to leave my phone in my car because it's not allowed in certain buildings at work unless I turn it off, which I'd rather not deal with. With the key fob, I don't have to worry about remembering to put my phone on airplane mode and fumbing with the key card in those instances.

Reactions: Mr. Big
Received my Model 3 fob yesterday. I had many of the same problems as others with my phone working intermittently and then found that, when wet, my card sometimes took an age to connect via the door pillar. It worried me that I might not get in at all at some point.

Anyway the fob seems to work fine and has the beauty that, unlike the card you do not always have to go around to the drivers door pillar when you want to open the trunk.

But two big gripes with the fob - 1) there is no loop to attach it to a key ring. Over many years I have been used to carrying my car and house keys on one ring and it is so much easier to check you always have them with you. Now I have to remember to check two things are in my pocket so it's easier to forget one of them

2) The packaging is absurd - If I bought the Koh-I-Noor diamond I might expect something like this fancy box but for a little black model car it is just daft. My daughter is very environmentally conscious and I'll have to make sure she does not see this box.

• Funny
Reactions: ZappCatt
Received my Model 3 fob yesterday. I had many of the same problems as others with my phone working intermittently and then found that, when wet, my card sometimes took an age to connect via the door pillar. It worried me that I might not get in at all at some point.

Anyway the fob seems to work fine and has the beauty that, unlike the card you do not always have to go around to the drivers door pillar when you want to open the trunk.

But two big gripes with the fob - 1) there is no loop to attach it to a key ring. Over many years I have been used to carrying my car and house keys on one ring and it is so much easier to check you always have them with you. Now I have to remember to check two things are in my pocket so it's easier to forget one of them

2) The packaging is absurd - If I bought the Koh-I-Noor diamond I might expect something like this fancy box but for a little black model car it is just daft. My daughter is very environmentally conscious and I'll have to make sure she does not see this box.

You are worried what your daughter will think of a box? Some Tesla owners are so weird. Don't let her know how lithium is mined, she might not drive in your car ever again.

If you take the battery cover off, there is a hook for attaching a lanyard.

1) there is no loop to attach it to a key ring. Over many years I have been used to carrying my car and house keys on one ring and it is so much easier to check you always have them with you. Now I have to remember to check two things are in my pocket so it's easier to forget one of them
There's an accessory Key Band you can buy on the Tesla website for $18.00.

The key fob is not exactly delicate, but the decals for the windows eventually start to peel. You might want to keep it in a little sleeve or something. Mine is about 18 months old and is rather beat up and I don't even use it as a keychain.

My friend also got the key fob because his phone does not work 100%. We just asked him today how the fob was working for him. He said it is better than the phone but still not 100%.