Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who will be the first to remove the production single-piece nose cone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of those waiting for delivery of production Model S's are eager for someone who's already received a production car with the new single piece nose cone to remove it and let us all see what's behind. This is because we're interested in installing EZPass transponders, radar detectors, laser jammers, and other devices which are best installed there, out of sight. I know several owners with the two-piece nose cones have done this, but the single piece nose cone is a different story.

I'd be happy to be the first to do this, but that means it would have to wait until I get delivery in April or May. Will someone please step up to the plate and help us all out? We'd all be very grateful!

I asked about this at delivery, and they said it was easily removed - just pull from the bottom. I looked skeptical but the service tech overheard the conversation and confirmed it.

That's interesting, there's another thread where they said to pry at the top right (as you face it from the front) near where the hood joins the front quarter panel.

That's interesting, there's another thread where they said to pry at the top right (as you face it from the front) near where the hood joins the front quarter panel.

I was the one who posted that, based on information from a service agent in the DC Service Center who had just returned from a few weeks of training in Fremont. He said he had removed a number that way. But as these are snap-in I suppose there are a number of ways to remove it.

I asked my Ranger yesterday (he dropped by to sync my winter wheels with the TPMS). The nose cone is all one piece and is held by those clamp thingies (don't know what you call them).

He said to get one of those plastic "trim tools" and pry the plastic cone starting at the extreme right, to disengage the rightmost clamp. Once you get the first one popped work your way across with your hands, popping the rest.

They did this for me @ the Tesla Shop just using a credit card on the (I believe) upper right. I had mentioned I wanted access to batt terminals to hookup my own cable to the outside in case 12v batt ever discovered dead. They had been trained to do this on the production's one piece and attacked it instantly- I had no time to run get my camcorder, unfortunately. No secret really, just carefully weasle it off. Then the two 12v terminals are right there out front. Need to get a well-sealed connector that can dangle down ala block-heater plug but have expose-able 3/8in bolts to clamp or wire to. Nose piece just pops back into plastic sockets.
--

I asked my Ranger yesterday (he dropped by to sync my winter wheels with the TPMS). The nose cone is all one piece and is held by those clamp thingies (don't know what you call them).

He said to get one of those plastic "trim tools" and pry the plastic cone starting at the extreme right, to disengage the rightmost clamp. Once you get the first one popped work your way across with your hands, popping the rest.

Thanks!! Now that we know it's easy to remove we just need someone to remove it and photograph the space behind, as well as the back side of the nose cone, so we can see what will fit.

- - - Updated - - -

They did this for me @ the Tesla Shop just using a credit card on the (I believe) upper right. I had mentioned I wanted access to batt terminals to hookup my own cable to the outside in case 12v batt ever discovered dead. They had been trained to do this on the production's one piece and attacked it instantly- I had no time to run get my camcorder, unfortunately. No secret really, just carefully weasle it off. Then the two 12v terminals are right there out front. Need to get a well-sealed connector that can dangle down ala block-heater plug but have expose-able 3/8in bolts to clamp or wire to. Nose piece just pops back into plastic sockets.
--

Thanks!!

I have the multi-piece Sig cone, so I can't, but a word of caution: Tesla's body clips hold EXTREMELY TIGHTLY, and having seen the ranger pop a few pieces loose on my car, the clips do have a tendency to break (especially interior ones). They're holding tighter then they're intended to (a good thing to dampen squeaks, rattles, etc.) but that means you have to replace them. So be careful when you pop them.

Thanks!! Now that we know it's easy to remove we just need someone to remove it and photograph the space behind, as well as the back side of the nose cone, so we can see what will fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!!

Anyone? Many of us, and especially me, want to see a photo of what's behind the single piece nose cone that's on production models. The clearances between the back surfaces of the nose cone and the hardware behind it are of special interest.

there is a group of pictures floating around the forum with the nose cover removed. I will try to find and repost or supply link.

Here it is the removed nose cone link with pictures.

I answered my own question by having a source in one of the Tesla service centers remove the nose cone and photography what's behind it. I posted those photos, so this has become circular:)