Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there still shorts!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audi is an established and growing car company that sells 1.5 million cars per year and a P/E of 6.
Tesla is a startup fast growing car company that sells 0.02 million cars per year and has a P/E close to 0 if not negative.

Lots of other good discussion, but I wanted to clarify some of the P/E stuff. See Price-Earnings Ratio (P/E Ratio) Definition | Investopedia .

First, a company that isn't profitable doesn't have a P/E ratio. Yes, if you just apply the formula, you would have a negative one, but that doesn't make sense, because as the P/E ratio gets smaller, you expect to see a more stable and reliably profitable business, but as you cross the discontinuity at zero, you have a company that isn't profitable at all! So your statement about Tesla is almost exactly back to front. When it does become profitable, it will have a very high P/E.

But I guess the important thing I wanted to say is that the P/E ratio doesn't tell you anything about the company, rather the other way around. The company's expected earnings growth and market cap give you a hint as to the kind of company it is, and that tells you what sort of P/E to expect. Then if the company's P/E is less than you expect, it's better than its peers, based on stability of growth and/or profit.

Lots of other good discussion, but I wanted to clarify some of the P/E stuff. See Price-Earnings Ratio (P/E Ratio) Definition | Investopedia .

First, a company that isn't profitable doesn't have a P/E ratio. Yes, if you just apply the formula, you would have a negative one, but that doesn't make sense, because as the P/E ratio gets smaller, you expect to see a more stable and reliably profitable business, but as you cross the discontinuity at zero, you have a company that isn't profitable at all! So your statement about Tesla is almost exactly back to front. When it does become profitable, it will have a very high P/E.

But I guess the important thing I wanted to say is that the P/E ratio doesn't tell you anything about the company, rather the other way around. The company's expected earnings growth and market cap give you a hint as to the kind of company it is, and that tells you what sort of P/E to expect. Then if the company's P/E is less than you expect, it's better than its peers, based on stability of growth and/or profit.

Thanks for the clarification ggr. I was thinking earnings, but wrote P/E.

and yeah, P/E ratio seems like a difficult way to think of a growth company. For the same gross profit, I'd be happier with Tesla if they had $10m in earnings and a 600:1 P/E ratio than Tesla with $200m in earnings and a 30:1 P/E.
Similarly, earnings * P/E ratio seems like a difficult way to value a growth stock.