Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are you selling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I can tell, some common reasons are:

#1: Change of personal/family situation - cash crunch, or new kids means switch to a family car.
#2: Car was part of a personal fleet of exotics that get rotated out every couple years just to keep everything new/fresh.
#3: Decided ingress/egress was too much of a chore. (Particularly if one has back problems or other ailments.)

I've had mine for just under 2 years now and have over 10k miles. I wouldn't consider selling. In fact, I wanted to start a new thread with a poll with the following question: if there was no way for you to get another used roadster (i.e. none for sell on ebay) and you didn't run into an unforseen financial difficulty (e.g. loss of job, medical expense, divorce) and someone showed up with a suitcase of cash, what would you sell him your roadster for?

80% of what you bought it for - you've had a good run but it's time to move on.
100% of what you bought it for - getting to drive it for a few years and getting your money back is not too bad.
120% of what you bought it for - hey, there aren't any others.
150% of what you bought it for - i'm not giving up my baby easily!
200+% of what you bought it for - it would be hard to sell.
Not selling. It's part of the family.

I personally would fall in the 150-200% range. As we get closer to a new Roadster model, I might change how I feel but as of now, I wouldn't sell for at least 150% of what I paid for it. Of course, since there are currently some on ebay for far less, I am not expecting an offer :)

I think another reason we see several low mileage Roadsters for sale is demo models sold to a dealer and then offered for resale. I may be persuaded to sell for what I paid for it but not $.01 less. It has been the most fun car I have ever owned. But for me is it also 3X the most expensive car Ihave ever owned.

I was doing the "lease a Roadster until you buy a Model S" program. At this point, I may not give up the roadster when I get the model S. However, I still have not test-driven the model S and much can change in 6 months.

Since mine is not for sale, I can only speculate as to why someone might sell a Roadster:
1. Financial situation changed. Anyone who did not pay cash for the vehicle has a monthly payment to make. As we know the economy sucks, so anyone who stretched to have a Roadster, may be forced to sell.
2. For many people, they did pay cash and put the Roadster in a garage with other exotics. They may decide to "rotate" vehicles as mentioned above. Why they would have a collection, but not include such a unique vehicle is beyond me. The Roadster is exactly the kind of vehicle that should kept in a collection.
3. Fools who thought the Roadster would go up in value. As it turns out, Roadsters depreciate quickly (perhaps not as quickly as some, but they definitely do not appreciate nor do I expect them to appreciate now that they are out of production). Not sure how many of these people are out there, but if they bought a car as an investment, they are probably dumping it before it depreciates more.
4. Some people may have been wanting an electric car, and the Roadster was the only (or best) option. Later they realized they didn't like the inconvenience of it being a "sports" car - difficult ingress/egress, stiff suspension, no trunk/storage space, lack of luxury features, etc...
5. Undisclosed damage/accidents. Perhaps the Roadster they have had a lot of problems that needed fixing, and they want to dump it (although, reading this forum, that would seem to be the exception and not the rule)
6. Odometer fraud.
7. Would prefer a Fisker. (Why?)

That is my guess as to why someone might sell a young, low-miles Roadster. If I did sell, it would be because of #4, but it doesn't bother me enough when compared to the advantages I love. As a result, I will hold my Roadster until either (1) There is a new Roadster with fewer drawbacks, (2) There is a Super-Performance Model S with sub-4.0 acceleration, or (3) Someone else designs an electric car that appeals to me.

That is my guess as to why someone might sell a young, low-miles Roadster. If I did sell, it would be because of #4, but it doesn't bother me enough when compared to the advantages I love. As a result, I will hold my Roadster until either (1) There is a new Roadster with fewer drawbacks, (2) There is a Super-Performance Model S with sub-4.0 acceleration, or (3) Someone else designs an electric car that appeals to me.

I'm pretty much with KGB - my roadster is pretty much a "play car" like several others I have (none of them "exotics"). Basically, if I can't drive with the top off - I might as well drive my '06 pick up. Yet, I don't think I would sell it for anything much less than what I paid for it - and if I did sell it I would just look for something else I would like to add to the "play car" collection. It has been fun but it certainly isn't "part of the family".

It could be because of the lack of public charging stations in their area or the novelty of the car wore off - my car only had ~500 miles on it when I purchased it! It was from Dallas though and the HPC was never installed so they probably got tired of waiting for the car to charge on 110V.

I'm pretty much with KGB - my roadster is pretty much a "play car" like several others I have (none of them "exotics"). Basically, if I can't drive with the top off - I might as well drive my '06 pick up. Yet, I don't think I would sell it for anything much less than what I paid for it - and if I did sell it I would just look for something else I would like to add to the "play car" collection. It has been fun but it certainly isn't "part of the family".

not to get too far off topic here, but 940 was the official change over from 2.0 to 2.5....is your car a 2.0 or 2.5? just curious

I hear people whining about getting into and out of the roadster. They say its the reason "they would never want one." I'm 64 and have arthritis in my neck, lower back and , believe it, the middle finger on my right hand. There is a specific protocol to entering and exiting the car BUT compared to the sheer delight of a long drive, well........................ I tell them about my back. I tell them about my neck. Then I show them my middle finger.... enough said!!

I hear people whining about getting into and out of the roadster. They say its the reason "they would never want one." I'm 64 and have arthritis in my neck, lower back and , believe it, the middle finger on my right hand. There is a specific protocol to entering and exiting the car BUT compared to the sheer delight of a long drive, well........................ I tell them about my back. I tell them about my neck. Then I show them my middle finger.... enough said!!

I love it!

Although I have arthritis in neck and back, a ruptured disk, AND am 6'5" with size 15 feet, plus probably not proportioned like you, I would never say I would never want one. No. I want one. It took several tries to convince myself that I just don't fit. Bummer. But I still love the car.

It is a 2.0 - I never knew the exact change over - I sure like the interior of 2.5 far better than the 2.0. The radio/navigation screen on the 2.0 is basically garbage!

All of the radio/nav systems are garbage.

As far as I can tell, the 2.5 interior is identical to the 2.0 interior if you don't get the double DIN dash. So I don't see how you can knock the entire interior of the 2.0 when most of it is identical.

The 1.5 interior is somewhat different, though. The VDS is in a rather less convenient location, for example.

All of the radio/nav systems are garbage.

As far as I can tell, the 2.5 interior is identical to the 2.0 interior if you don't get the double DIN dash. So I don't see how you can knock the entire interior of the 2.0 when most of it is identical.

The 1.5 interior is somewhat different, though. The VDS is in a rather less convenient location, for example.

aren't the seats in the 2.5 are different than the 2.0?

aren't the seats in the 2.5 are different than the 2.0?

My 2.0 has the updated seats. Tesla tends to put upgrades into the cars as they become available, so towards the end of the 2.0's they were already putting in the improved seats, PEM, radio antenna, some of the sound deadening improvements, etc.

Also I'm not sure you could easily see the difference in the seats. They're built differently but look very similar.

I know someone who put 1.5 seats into a 2.5 Roadster because the older seats apparently had less padding so they were lower. If you are tall enough to need a fraction more headroom it could outweigh the reduced cushion.