Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do bigger wheels drain range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not bigger but you can find out yourself by going to tirerack and looking up the diameter of the tires.
The 18", 19" and 20" wheels on the Model 3 have different size tires yielding about the same overall diameter.
If you want to di an easy experiment, go to your local bike shop and test ride two similar bikes bikes. One with steel wheels and one with Aluminum wheels (same tire size). You'll be amazed.

Early on the thread there is an "article" that purports to offer some statistics.
Stop and think for a second about how in that case the tire/wheel combo going from 40 to 54lbs a 35% weight gain, and a 10% fuel economy hit.
Just spitballing but I would presume the S tire/wheel package is in that ballpark of 54lbs, people claim a 10% economy loss on those from 19to 21" but I am pretty sure the 21" package is not 73lbs which would be the corresponding 35% weight gain, and we don't see people claiming grand gains with arachnids over turbines...........
Besides with regenerative braking a Tesla would recover more of that energy than an ICE, but again people claim a 10% swing on Teslas where the weight change is smaller and regen recovers energy an ice would have wasted as heat, so how does that work with the 6th grade science level article?

Point being if you look at it with an open mind rather than trying to blindly affirm your belief weight is the big factor you are going to say that weight may not be the big factor. Particularly not in highway range, city range sure it will play a part as acceleration of the mass is a factor, bit highway takes acceleration largely out of the equation.

22s are awful in stop/start traffic when rolling the difference is barely 5% if that.

Two identical trips, one on 22s one on 20s, based on consumption figures can you guess which trip is which??

48626127143_47d3d8f3a4_z_d.jpg

27338364569_fdc0696460_z_d.jpg

I see 3% difference, am I missing something? I also see a huge difference in Temps between the two "identical" trips.

I see 3% difference, am I missing something? I also see a huge difference in Temps between the two "identical" trips.

But which trip was on 22s? After all people claim the drop in efficiency is massive so should be easy to tell ;)

Here is one more, same distance trip, 22 or 20s?

The reality is weather and speed has a bigger impact on range than wheel size.

48931615083_ebe2177e1e_c_d.jpg