Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do Tesla cars ride on tires with foam inserts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that the purpose of the foam inserts on the tires that typically (always?) ship with the S, X and 3 is to reduce road noise. (Is that true? Or is it for efficiency?)

Why is that necessary? In my Model 3, I don’t seem to have a wind noise issue but I get quite a bit of tire noise with the 19” OEM tires. Would it be that much worse without the foam insert (which I assume is there?)

Is it because there is less / no engine noise? Is it not to reduce noise but to increase efficiency? Why don’t all cars use tires with foam inserts if it makes them “quieter”?

Just wondering.

I understand that the purpose of the foam inserts on the tires that typically (always?) ship with the S, X and 3 is to reduce road noise. (Is that true? Or is it for efficiency?)

I'm pretty sure there is no improvement in efficiency. The main enemy of tires is heat and anything that has to flex in a tire causes heat. The extra heat generated by the foam inserts may be small, perhaps very small even, but it is a detriment to efficiency, not an improvement. I am quite certain the only reason for the foam is for sound damping.

I don't know, but I wonder if the Teslas have as much sound damping built into the body as other cars. While it tends to be rather quiet much of the time, when on certain highways where the tires make a lot of noise, the car is *anything* but quiet. My pickup truck is quieter on those roads.

• Love
Reactions: Birdman325
I agree it is all about noise and agree I think Tesla skimps on the sound deadening since they don't have to deaden engine sounds.
You get a Tesla on fresh blacktop and it is strikingly quiet niece was actually so shocked she stopped mid sentence to comment when we transitioned from old to new blacktop.

I don't know how much of the mediocre sound deadening is oversight and not testing on a wide range of roads and how much is just the compromises they struck in cost/benefit analysis. My car is a 42,xxx VIN so might have been oversight then by now it is a choice.
If they can knock off a decibel or two or even just shift frequency with a small tweak to the tire like the foam is then that is easier than re-engineering the sound deadening in the car, creating supply side and assembly complications.

Agreed. On some freshly paved roads the absence of any noise (including road noise) is striking. But then on some other highways the tire noise is pretty substantial. I am supposed to be getting the 18” Aero winter tires on today, and then heading out on a road trip to Montreal tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see if I can notice any road noise difference.

I guess the other data point, would be for those who purchased their own “aftermarket” tires, either winter or otherwise, that would typically not come with foam inserts, whether the absence of those foam inserts result in a material difference in noise levels.

Agreed. On some freshly paved roads the absence of any noise (including road noise) is striking. But then on some other highways the tire noise is pretty substantial. I am supposed to be getting the 18” Aero winter tires on today, and then heading out on a road trip to Montreal tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see if I can notice any road noise difference.

I agree completely, some road surfaces are very loud and that is the case in any vehicle.

I think Tesla should step up their sound deadening game.

I agree completely, some road surfaces are very loud and that is the case in any vehicle.

I think Tesla should step up their sound deadening game.

Absolutely...Its a sound deadening thing.

Problem though.

If you get a screw or nail in the tread section ( where the foam is )…...you can forget about putting fix-a-flat or something in the tire because the foam blocks the fix-a-flat from getting to the nail hole.

Trust me....I learned this the hard way.

I guess the other data point, would be for those who purchased their own “aftermarket” tires, either winter or otherwise, that would typically not come with foam inserts, whether the absence of those foam inserts result in a material difference in noise levels.

My X-Ice Xi3’s are quieter than the stock insulated 18” tires.

I changed the tires on my old Model S with tires without the foam and I could absolutely tell the difference. As soon as I started driving on the new tires I could hear a "ballooning" sound from the tires. It's a hollow-ish noise like someone thumping on a balloon. It's not incredibly noisy, but it was noticeable.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner

Why is that necessary? In my Model 3, I don’t seem to have a wind noise issue but I get quite a bit of tire noise with the 19” OEM tires. Would it be that much worse without the foam insert (which I assume is there?)

Is it because there is less / no engine noise? Is it not to reduce noise but to increase efficiency? Why don’t all cars use tires with foam inserts if it makes them “quieter”?

Just wondering.

You are right. Lack of engine noise makes anything else more noticeable. I'd just turn the music volume up. Tesla is actually the only car I want to listening to music in.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eevee and mswlogo