Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Do Teslas Eat Flash Drives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flash drives have limited write cycles, and some of the cheaper ones (particularly the USB stick variety) are much more limited than others. Basically the heavy write load of the car wears them out. Invest in a full SSD, or just accept that you will need a new drive every year or so, depending on how much you drive.

So you didn't understand anything I posted?

Just use exFAT instead. It was created to get around the 4 GB limit

“exFAT file system works with all versions of Windows, Mac OS X, needs additional software on Linux. It is read-only with Mac and some versions of Linux. Maximum file size 4 GB and partition size 8 TB”

Yes, but at one time, Tesla was not compatible with the exFAT format. The drive had to be FAT32. Windows won't even format a FAT32 drive, at least mine won't. I have to use a special format command in the Flash testing utility.

Flash media has a limited read/write ability (it’s destructive) and drives not designed for dashcam/high read-write usage will eventually stop recording sooner than later. Found that out early on in 2018 with our first SanDisk flash drive not high endurance. My experience is the files would still be readable but not writeable.

Our two Teslas have been using Samsung’s Endurance Pro microSD cards for a few years now and still working (and still using the original version cards - for dashcam use). Pleased with how they’ve held up. Was using them with a multi-media USB-A&C card reader until Tesla made some change and necessitated our switching readers. After recommendations from TMC members we then went with a SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader (USB-A). Very tiny and not very noticeable when installed in the car (our cars do not use the Glovebox. Reader not as convenient for us with our equipment which uses USB-C and requires an adapter to read into our USB-C MacBook Pros. Happy with both card and reader otherwise though.

Reactions: UoMDeacon