Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why do windows lower half an inch before door opens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure they put too much thought into designing these doors/windows. For the Model S, for example, the windows do the same, go down a few cm but they don't actually push up into any seal. When the door is closed, the window just pushes very slightly against the seal, doesn't go in/under at all. The door would very easily open if the window didn't go down at all.

On the other hand, maybe the windows go up/down when the doors open/close, so they doesn't get forced either way because of the sudden pressure difference?

I'm not sure they put too much thought into designing these doors/windows. For the Model S, for example, the windows do the same, go down a few cm but they don't actually push up into any seal. When the door is closed, the window just pushes very slightly against the seal, doesn't go in/under at all. The door would very easily open if the window didn't go down at all.

On the other hand, maybe the windows go up/down when the doors open/close, so they doesn't get forced either way because of the sudden pressure difference?

If the window doesn't retract, the glass won't clear the chrome (black on a Y) trim without getting caught. This has presented a challenge for people in the winter when the window freezes and won't roll down. If you manage to get the door open without scratching the trim, you could find it very difficult to close again.

Off-topic, but it's worth mentioning that using a product like Gummi Pflege on the seals can help prevent them from freezing to the glass in the winter.

*Unlike Trevor, I don't advocate using silicone spray for this purpose. I posted his video because his description of the window operation is spot-on.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
This is common on car's with cars where the door is frameless around the window. It helps to not push the rubber up yes. But it also helps in closing the door to allow air to escape; which also why sometimes you see it on well "pressurized" cars with framed doors. And yes, avoiding chrome damage. There have been reports of misaligned windows or windows that failed to drop when closing and causing damage. Personally from a aesthetic perspective I prefer frameless; but framed door are more secure and quieter.

Old thread i know but i hate starting new ones for same topic...

I don't see anyone mentioning most important thing, security/theft
If the frameless door didn't have up/down mechanism it wouldn't be very secure, u could just pry away the glass lightly and get access to switches/handle
Its not just tesla, its on any other car with frameless doors
Also, if u look closer at our trim, its reinforced, so that when door is closed and window goes up, u can't tilt the glass out

And finally if this up/down motion is not adjusted properly, you will have issues like scraping noise when opening or wind noise when closed.
Hope this helps.