Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does Tesla Censor their forums?

Do you think it is wise for Tesla to drop their prices so quickly?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to discuss the price drops on my car with others and Tesla deletes my posts minutes after I put them up on Tesla’s customer forum. It appears that many posta from many people disapear. I am shocked at the level of censorship.

My first thread was about how I feel like Tesla has no regard for its middle class customers. It was a little negative, but nothing over the top. Poof...erased.

My second thread was about how I’ve gotten over it and even just paid Tesla $2k for the AP upgrade. Pretty positive. Poof...erased.

I called Tesla today after reading on this forum that I was getting a free AP upgrade since I took delivery in 2019. I was told that this was untrue and only EAP customers would get FSD. I told the rep to pass along that this was unfair for middle class customers to have such radical price changes so quickly. I guess that earned me a censorship ribbon from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn and OPRCE
There are a million threads on this already here. Reporting this thread to be deleted, not because you can't express your opinions, but because you aren't searching.

A new user on literally his first post [apparently justifiably] complains of censorship by Tesla elsewhere and your sole but instant reflex is to erase his thread, on the technicality that he has not searched exhaustively enough to meet your arbitrary standard?

That is amazingly harsh and unwelcoming behaviour!

Sorry to hear of the censorship at Tesla.com forum, but I guess they are under orders to suppress the reaction to recent ructions in pricing, so better to air yourself over here, where people are in general more tolerant and reasonable than it may at first appear.

In short, welcome and do not be discouraged!

To your poll question, I voted Yes, as the company will only survive (in our collective interest) by keeping its increasing production moving swiftly out the door rather than allowing demand to stall on loss of incentives or for any other reason.

I agree Tesla do not do everything right, but they certainly seem to [eventually] try to make things right by compensating. For example, just today we learned that existing M3 owners will get a gratis better-than-doubling of maximum charge speed with v3 SuC coming this year, with Models S/X to receive some as yet unspecified boost, which is unprecedented and something no other car manufacturer in their wildest dreams would ever do. So we learn to take the rough with the smooth and enjoy the ride, literally and figuratively!

BTW, what did you pay for your car vs what it would now cost, if I may enquire?

Last edited:
It’s never great to get censored and I personally believe that it’s better for the brand to allow the negative discussions for two reasons:

1. Super users can defend the brand
2. The brand has an opportunity to show they listen to feedback, engage and put it right.

But let’s face it. Few brand actually do this and you need to remember your posting on a Tesla owned domain, it’s their world and they will manage it however they want, if they don’t like the sound of a given thread they have every right to remove it, you don’t own your content and it’s not up for debate.

Personally I find the Tesla forums weak in terms of durability and general engagement unlike here, one of the reasons I don’t use it and maybe you should do the same, I doubt very much that they act on much of the feedback they get in that channel as it’s so poorly managed.

• Helpful
Reactions: OPRCE
A new user on literally his first post [apparently justifiably] complains of censorship by Tesla elsewhere and your sole but instant reflex is to erase his thread, on the technicality that he has not searched exhaustively enough to meet your arbitrary standard?

Fair enough, and I appreciate the pushback. I'm normally much more welcoming. I think I'm merely exhausted from merging and moving threads over in Model 3 which are effectively duplicates of OPs concerns. And I found the title of this thread to be either provocative or confusing with regard to the actual content.

My apologies to @dnvr-ev for my initial harshness. But I do still want this thread moved away or merged. We have a lot of duplicates that ask these exact same questions throughout the forum.

Fair enough, and I appreciate the pushback. I'm normally much more welcoming. I think I'm merely exhausted from merging and moving threads over in Model 3 which are effectively duplicates of OPs concerns. And I found the title of this thread to be either provocative or confusing with regard to the actual content.

My apologies to @dnvr-ev for my initial harshness. But I do still want this thread moved away or merged. We have a lot of duplicates that ask these exact same questions throughout the forum.

Much appreciated!

Sorry to hear of the censorship at Tesla.com forum, but I guess they are under orders to suppress the reaction to recent ructions in pricing, so better to air yourself over here, where people are in general more tolerant and reasonable than it may at first appear.

In short, welcome and do not be discouraged!

To your poll question, I voted Yes, as the company will only survive (in our collective interest) by keeping its increasing production moving swiftly out the door rather than allowing demand to stall on loss of incentives or for any other reason.

I agree Tesla do not do everything right, but they certainly seem to [eventually] try to make things right by compensating. For example, just today we learned that existing M3 owners will get a gratis better-than-doubling of maximum charge speed with v3 SuC coming this year, with Models S/X to receive some as yet unspecified boost, which is unprecedented and something no other car manufacturer in their wildest dreams would ever do. So we learn to take the rough with the smooth and enjoy the ride, literally and figuratively!

BTW, what did you pay for your car vs what it would now cost, if I may enquire?

I paid $54,700 in early 2019 and on the day of my first payment due date it was $50,700. Thanks for the encouragement.

It’s never great to get censored and I personally believe that it’s better for the brand to allow the negative discussions for two reasons:

2. The brand has an opportunity to show they listen to feedback, engage and put it right.

But let’s face it. Few brand actually do this and you need to remember your posting on a Tesla owned domain, it’s their world and they will manage it however they want, if they don’t like the sound of a given thread they have every right to remove it, you don’t own your content and it’s not up for debate.

Personally I find the Tesla forums weak in terms of durability and general engagement unlike here, one of the reasons I don’t use it and maybe you should do the same, I doubt very much that they act on much of the feedback they get in that channel as it’s so poorly managed.

You are correct that it would make more sense to defend themselves. Imagine if they were honest and asked people for support or admit they screwed up. Illogical decisions followed by silencing dissent doesn't match their image.

I didn’t know it was common. I searched it and found it talked about in 2014. I have only been reading posts for a few days here. I won’t create a thread again unless I have something I am sure is original. I didn’t know about the censorship and never woud have believed it until I watched them deleting “negative” posts in real time. As a longtime Musk fan who seems to have an incredibly libertarian attitude, I wrongly assumed the company was about free expression.

I paid $54,700 in early 2019 and on the day of my first payment due date it was $50,700. Thanks for the encouragement.

Count yourself lucky you hadn't just bought a X P100D Ludicrous then, as its price dropped by ~$50k or 30% ... you got off comparatively lightly, mate!

I don't even look at what mine would currently cost ... just enjoy a soothing music while cruising along, imaging an upcoming 175kW max charging rate, etc. :D

Count yourself lucky you hadn't just bought a X P100D Ludicrous then, as its price dropped by ~$50k or 30% ... you got off comparatively lightly, mate!

I don't even look at what mine would currently cost ... just enjoy a soothing music while cruising along, imaging an upcoming 175kW max charging rate, etc. :D
You are right about that $50k drop. Wow What a misstep. Everything is relative also though. How mad people are is probably related to how hard they have to work for the price difference. Tesla needs someone at their company who can anticipate consequences.

You are right about that $50k drop. Wow What a misstep. Everything is relative also though. How mad people are is probably related to how hard they have to work for the price difference. Tesla needs someone at their company who can anticipate consequences.

Yeah, some have wisely suggested a CMO [Chief Marketing Officer] is urgently needed to relieve Máximo Caudillo Musk from the burden of finding multiple new ways to mess it up altogether.

Reactions: dnvr-ev
There is NOT, nor has there ever been; any censorship on this forum. Just ask XXXXXX from XXXXXX in Tesla he/she/it said XXXX and XXXX also, and I quote, "xxxx xxx xxxxx".

I rest my case.
I know this is a joke, but for any observers that think TMC is at all associated with Tesla, just a reminder that it's not. TMC is entirely independent of Tesla and moderation that is performed here is due to violations of the Terms and Rules of the site, not any influence from Tesla.

Tesla can and should do whatever they want in this case.

It's counterproductive for them to see a million threads created about the price drop. That's what TMC is for.
It’s counterproductive for them also to alienate their fan and customer base. Like I said in another post. Every action comes with consequences.

I will only ever buy a used Tesla in the future so price drops don’t affect me as much. I have stopped trying to get my friends and family to buy one. Now, I am too nervous they will do some other crazy thing and that friend or family member will blame me.

Yes, Tesla can do whatever they want. They can drop prices and censor people, but how customers change their minds about the company in the process is something they have failed to consider.