Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does the X never seem to turn on the climate in the back automatically?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There must be a sensor in the captain chairs that aren't getting pressed with child seats in them. And it seems there isn't that sensor in the 3rd row. I've noticed the same problem. If I put an adult in the captain's chair it detects someone in the back and will turn it on.

Thanks for the reply. So the only sensors in the car are in the captains chairs, and if the car seat/child doesn't set it off then you're screwed. Interesting there are no sensors in the third row to activate the HVAC.
It might be worthwhile to experiment with different things under the child seats to help trigger the sensor. Perhaps you could try things like a folded towel, a small firm cushion, or even something that is firm/heavy to ensure the sensor is triggered (make sure whatever you use won't fly around in an accident).

Just thoughts for you to consider, I haven't tried any of these solutions.

Reactions: JesseFK
Re: Trying to trigger sensor, you could also buckle a seatbelt assuming they aren't already buckled (you don't mention year on your X, but older ones had LATCH system in third row while I don't believe newer ones do). Some sections of some Teslas definitely treat latched seatbelts as a form of occupancy detection.

ETA: My 2017 X definitely has occupancy detection in the third row, as it will tell me a seatbelt is uncovered when my buckled kid puts his weight on his hand in the empty seat next to him. I wouldn't think they could remove this feature, as I would expect it to be required regulatorily. As such, it seems most likely that a software bug is the culprit if buckled seatbelts aren't triggering occupancy detection (though it could also be a stupid design choice/oversight at some point in time/software, as Tesla definitely does stupid things with their software intermittently).

I had the same question. When i got the car back in march of 2022…the SYNC button wound match the front row with the rear two rows always (except the 3rd row wouldn‘t turn on unless someone was sitting in it). About 2-3 months later, that function went away. I asked tesla and they said it was never something that happened…but yeah it definitely did. I’ve had plenty of cars where it worked so i know it was happening.

It’s so stupid that the function worked but then it was turned off now.

First issue is when i SYNC the rear ac...it doesn’t match the front row. second is when i press auto on both….they don’t match. Really annoying.

I have a 2020 LR X and have had this issue since day 1. I have a car seat installed in the captain chair and whether or not someone is sitting in the other chair, it never turns on automatically. I've always had to turn it on manually through the screen.

I don't recall whether it automatically turns on for someone in the 3rd row since we don't use it often.

Hasn't been a big issue since we don't often use AC in my part of California.