Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't the voice command "turn on headlights" work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never tried this, but could come in handy in places where headlights are required to be on during the daytime. Drove through the same area twice recently and the road starts getting kind of twisty immediately after I see the sign. Not the best place to be trying to navigate the screen.
I understand the concern, but the built in day time LED running lights are plenty visible for those sections of road. Those "turn on headlight" signs are from the era before DRLs to increase situational awareness.

• Informative
Reactions: PianoAl
Apparently auto doesn't automatically turn headlights on when the wipers are on (required in some states); haven't figured out whether it works for construction zones that require headlights on during the day. Seems like a pretty basic voice command, much like "turn the lights off", which apparently also doesn't work while you are driving (eg at a drive-in movie or holiday lights display)

I understand the concern, but the built in day time LED running lights are plenty visible for those sections of road. Those "turn on headlight" signs are from the era before DRLs to increase situational awareness.
Perhaps. But I'll still turn them on for more visibility. 2 lane road with hills and curves with passing areas... Yeah, I'll turn them on. Not to mention, legally speaking the turn headlights on signs are white which technically means you can get ticketed of you don't.

Reactions: Big Earl
Just set it to AUTO and forget about it.
Automatic headlights do not automatically turn on the headlights when the automatic wipers turn on. In a jurisdiction where there is a law requiring headlights to be on when wipers are on, the driver needs to turn on the headlights when the wipers (may) need to be used.

If they fixed the lack of automatic headlights turning on when the wipers are on, the lack of a voice command to turn the headlights on and off becomes less important.

Reactions: Transformer
I'm pretty sure mine said "not available yet" (emphasis mine). Which seems a bit mysterious. So, maybe later today? Next Tuesday? 🤔 Though I imagine they're implying they're looking to make it available in some future software update.
It doesn’t seem like anything with the current software would prevent them from implementing the feature when they already have other voice commands for the dome lighting and glove box. I wonder what the delay is on a lot of commands that are clearly recognized by voice but not implemented

Only thing I can think of is they do not want accidental command of the headlamp. i.e. accidentally tiring them off while driving at night? Though, there's not a lot of reason they can't implement the on function while not allowing the off function....

Apparently auto doesn't automatically turn headlights on when the wipers are on (required in some states); haven't figured out whether it works for construction zones that require headlights on during the day. Seems like a pretty basic voice command, much like "turn the lights off", which apparently also doesn't work while you are driving (eg at a drive-in movie or holiday lights display)

this used to be a thing. Tesla patched this out with V11.