Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why get larger wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For $1,500, you can get 19" wheels to replace the standard 18" wheels, and lose range. Other than the aesthetics, what advantages do these larger wheels offer in exchange for the loss of mileage?
From what I can tell, nothing but looks. You could always drive a Prius if looks don't concern you. On a performance model 3, you are pretty much limited to 19 inch minimum to clear the brakes. I went from 20 inch to 19 inch (more tire options), but feel the 20 inch wheels look way better on my car.

From what I can tell, nothing but looks. You could always drive a Prius if looks don't concern you. On a performance model 3, you are pretty much limited to 19 inch minimum to clear the brakes. I went from 20 inch to 19 inch (more tire options), but feel the 20 inch wheels look way better on my car.
According to the Tesla web site today, the only option on the performance model is 20". They're not giving you the option for 19" any more.

Attachments

• Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 185
I disagree about the looks of the Prius. Regardless, I think the 19" wheels don't look $1,500 better than the 18" wheels. But hey, we each have a right to our own aesthetics.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
According to the Tesla web site today, the only option on the performance model is 20". They're not giving you the option for 19" any more.
That’s not correct. Tesla is still producing the Stealth Performance model; however, it is no longer a user configurable option. If you search inventory across the country you’ll find a few Stealth Performance vehicles for sale with the 18” aero wheels.

The below screenshot is a vehicle within 200 miles of LA. There are quite a few out there.

Attachments

• F6F9DCC5-0016-476B-B62A-EC9D10DC9D46.png
    F6F9DCC5-0016-476B-B62A-EC9D10DC9D46.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I disagree about the looks of the Prius. Regardless, I think the 19" wheels don't look $1,500 better than the 18" wheels. But hey, we each have a right to our own aesthetics .
I vote for the 19’s being more than $1500 better looking and the 20’s look even better. I think the 18" wheels look terrible and the tiny size proportionally make the cars look anemic, but again as you said we each have a right to our own aesthetic opinions.

I'm referring to ordering on the Tesla web site. Sure there are some unsold inventory cars available with features not available now.
That’s also not correct. As far as I know the Stealth Performance vehicles have continued production long after the option was removed from the Tesla website. They’re actually in demand considering some folks want a Performance model but don’t want the larger wheels, brakes or rear spoiler.

That’s also not correct. As far as I know the Stealth Performance vehicles have continued production long after the option was removed from the Tesla website. They’re actually in demand considering some folks want a Performance model but don’t want the larger wheels, brakes or rear spoiler.

I would be interested to find out how many people still buy those cars after they find out that there is absolutely no discount for taking the car without those items. Since the performance car both with those items, and with non of them cost exactly the same money, I bet a lot of people back out when they find that out.

It was a huge steal when you could get the "stealth performance" for only a 2k upcharge on the LR AWD car, and totally worth it then. Now, not so much, because if you were going to remove the wheels and stuff anyway, might as well take them for no charge and sell them or something, to partially fund the wheels you want on the car.

I am sure a few people buy them no matter what, but I doubt "in demand" is an accurate description, with them both being the same price.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
I would be interested to find out how many people still buy those cars after they find out that there is absolutely no discount for taking the car without those items. Since the performance car both with those items, and with non of them cost exactly the same money, I bet a lot of people back out when they find that out.

It was a huge steal when you could get the "stealth performance" for only a 2k upcharge on the LR AWD car, and totally worth it then. Now, not so much, because if you were going to remove the wheels and stuff anyway, might as well take them for no charge and sell them or something, to partially fund the wheels you want on the car.

I am sure a few people buy them no matter what, but I doubt "in demand" is an accurate description, with them both being the same price.
Not sure we’ll ever know the statistics. I understand the economics but one is in for a fair amount of work removing parts, replacing them and selling parts to claw back, what $3,000 max? Some could reasonably argue that’s not their highest and best use to save a relatively small sum of money.

Not sure we’ll ever know the statistics. I understand the economics but one is in for a fair amount of work removing parts, replacing them and selling parts to claw back, what $3,000 max? Some could reasonably argue that’s not their highest and best use to save a relatively small sum of money.

The wheels and tires alone would sell for roughly 3k and would be like 30 minutes taking them off. Thats sort of like saying that someone wouldnt want a 3k discount on the car for 30 minutes work.

For $1,500, you can get 19" wheels to replace the standard 18" wheels, and lose range. Other than the aesthetics, what advantages do these larger wheels offer in exchange for the loss of mileage?

To answer the thread title, because many of us feel like the car wheel well needs larger wheels, to not look something like this:

tiny wheels.jpg

The OEM 19s with the Hankook tires offer noticeably better handling than the Primacy MXM4s that come with the Aero 18s. And the look of the 19s grew on me to the point that I switched out my Aeros for them. At the same time, I stuck with the OEM Hankooks and couldn't be happier.
If you want great handling on the Aeros, you'd have to switch to another tire like the Pilot sport 4 or P Zero Nero GT. If handling isn't that important, the OEM MXM4s will get the job done.