Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I gave up and bought a Prius Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again price difference isn't much since you get a larger tax incentive with the volt. It's only a couple grand difference.

Possibly so. After incentives/rebates, I'm paying $16k. I could probably get a base Volt for about $3k more, but all the Prius Primes come with things like DRCC, premium audio, lane departure alert, heated seats, etc. I could be wrong, but I think a similarly equipped Volt would be a lot more.

Possibly so. After incentives/rebates, I'm paying $16k. I could probably get a base Volt for about $3k more, but all the Prius Primes come with things like DRCC, premium audio, lane departure alert, heated seats, etc. I could be wrong, but I think a similarly equipped Volt would be a lot more.
I dunno but it doesn't matter now :) This article sums it up, but it's not showing your car being 16k either which is an amazing price after taxes and incentives.
Video Review: Doing the Math on Toyota’s Prius Prime Hybrid

"Including options, my Prime tester with the Advanced package lists for $36,305. That is $3,700 less than a comparably equipped Volt. But the federal tax credits ($4,502 for the Toyota, $7,500 for the Chevy) wipe out much of the difference."

I think Chevy is was having pretty good deals on volts since they are not selling many compared to the bolt these days.

The bolt I test drove was felt faster in acceleration than my volt is. I did not test drive a Prius prime, but 12 seconds to 60 isn't great. The Prius prime has a faster top speed than the volt or bolt though :)

That's very interesting. What makes for so much less electric consumption? I mean, besides the shorter EV range.
MUCH more efficient car, whether in EV or HV mode compared to the Volt. You can see it in the MPGe ratings which is basically just a confusing way to report miles/kwh*. IIRC the Prime is 133 and the Volt ~ 100 MPGe

The HV mode has a similar difference: The Prime is 54 MPG and the volt 42 (if memory serves.) These differences are actually greater in practice because the Prime has a very nice heat pump that is not well represented in the EPA tests.

I have never driven a Volt but I can relay my experience as an fuel economical driver in a 90 mile r/t commute for work over a year in Colorado at 5000 to 6000 feet elevation:
Annual average 0.9 gallons + 6.3 metered kWh per 90 miles
In winter petrol consumption increases to as much as 1.1 gallons
In mild climate petrol consumption drops to 0.75 - 0.8 gallons

My route has a 1200 drop in net elevation to work. I can drive most (and sometimes all the 44.5 miles to work on a single 6.3 metered kWh charge), and then HV home in the range of 55 - 65 mpg. The car is a marvel of dual mode efficiency.

*MPGe/33.7 = miles per kWh

Last edited:
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Well I think that happens when you put down more power and have a larger battery? But electricity is cheap anyways right? hah
San Diego cheap !
But OP said that he prioritizes environmental sensibilities so consumption and pollution are the useful metrics.

You cannot easily explain away the poor efficiency of the Volt by power and battery when the Model 3 shows that Prime level efficiency is possible with much more battery and power than a Volt.

Prius Primes come with things like DRCC, premium audio, lane departure alert, heated seats, etc. I could be wrong, but I think a similarly equipped Volt would be a lot more
You are right.

DRCC is one of those features that is hard to give up once experienced, and the safety features are brilliant, particularly for someone like me who is tired after a shift. If they keep me out of one accident, the car will have paid for itself.

Reactions: Seamless
San Diego cheap !
But OP said that he prioritizes environmental sensibilities so consumption and pollution are the useful metrics.

You cannot easily explain away the poor efficiency of the Volt by power and battery when the Model 3 shows that Prime level efficiency is possible with much more battery and power than a Volt.
Well the volt does have to lug around that primitive ICE everywhere it goes :)
I wonder how much more it weighs to do liquid cooling than air? I would guess not much more? For me this is important after hearing about all the prius battery pack replacements and nissan leaf problems. I guess air cooled is fine as long as there is space for it, but it looks like that battery takes up allot of room in the prius hatch. Maybe that's why? I'm going to miss having a hatchback when I get my model 3. I mean really miss it. I guess carboys and propane tanks will have to ride buckled into the seats in the model 3...

The one thing I miss about my lemon focus was the usability of the hatchback. It was great. In the volt there are allot less places to tie things down to.

Very, very few as a percentage of high mileage cars on the road; pretty much only after 150 - 200k miles if it happens at all; and now a days a cheap replacement.
Please do not interject FUD into our polite conversation.

The LEAF battery has severe issues.

I actually haven't heard of a battery replacement in a Prius yet. And where I live is Prius country to an absurd extent. I'll grant you that's anecdotal, though! My old Prius went from 100k to 172k, and went from around 45mpg to around 41 over those miles. I think the primary culprit was the aging battery.

I actually haven't heard of a battery replacement in a Prius yet. And where I live is Prius country to an absurd extent. I'll grant you that's anecdotal, though! My old Prius went from 100k to 172k, and went from around 45mpg to around 41 over those miles. I think the primary culprit was the aging battery.
Yeah, the Prius battery has done fantastically but it is not really fair to compare straight hybrids to plug-ins because the former can have battery degradation without seeing any MPG change. The Prime has a much improved air cooling system, but it does bring along with it a curiosity: the air used to keep the battery cool is from the passenger cabin. So it you want the best life out the battery, keep yourself and the battery comfortable and try to keep the ambient air intake up.

Reactions: Seamless
Very, very few as a percentage of high mileage cars on the road; pretty much only after 150 - 200k miles if it happens at all; and now a days a cheap replacement.

Just heard from people I know that have prii that have had the battery packs replaced, or suffered from degradation
And here I thought I lived in prius county!

Just heard from people I know that have prii that have had the battery packs replaced, or suffered from degradation. Although most people around here with a prius don't like to talk about their prius. The couple of friends I have that have them had the packs replaced had well over 100k miles but they did need to be replaced. Certainly not as serious as the leaf issues.

Life After Death: What Happens When Your Prius Battery Dies

The one guy I got into a conversation with about it went with an aftermarket solution.

My gen 2 '06 prius with 175K miles had the dreaded P0A80 OBD2 code. I found a local shop that sold/installed a refurb battery with an 18 month warranty for about $1.5k. Hoping to reach 200K miles without needing to replace the other big ticket item...brake actuator.

My Prius C, which I'm about to let go for the 3, has been problem-free. Yes, the engine purrs a bit louder when I need more in the way of energy, but that is the only thing I'm not going to miss about it (and the somewhat crampy confines of the cab).

That spreadsheet is already been widely broadcast in mainstream media. Even Bloomberg references it often in comparison to its own tracker. I for one discovered that spreadsheet before I joined these forums. And with a sample size of 4000 people, all of which having put down a reservation for a 3, I'm not sure what your concern is regarding selection bias.

From your speadsheet in looks like about 75% of the reservations have been gone thru. I agree you sample is large but it is not a random survey. That's where there could be issues in its accuracy. I would find it hard to see Tesla already go thru 75% of the reservations. If this is true, production will not be the problem for Tesla.

Congrats on the new car! I test drove the prime and it just wasn't for me. Even out here in SoCal, I don't see too many off those. Tons of Prii, not too many primes. Not all potential buyers model 3 buyers have trust funds my man. I'm a 31 year old who bought a home last year and have been saving up for this vehicle. So that blanket statement makes you sound a little salty. Great post without that one line. Either way, great news about your new vehicle. Cheers!!

Not salty at all; It's a great statement of reality. Enjoy the Prius Prime.

It’s not competition of any kind ‘for Tesla’, even if Toyota decided to copy a feature here or there. Because as you just explained, the 3 was never in your budget to start. Even the base 3 wasn’t in your budget, you were depending on rebates and tax credits to make it an affordable ‘purchase price’. So different market segment. All good, just don’t be confused about what is/may be competition. The PP is not and neither is anything else currently on the market.

Enjoy your new car!
oh when Prius' out sell Tesla 3's 47 to 1, you better believe it's a competition. Good Post