Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I gave up and bought a Prius Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Prius is one of the worst cars in the world to drive. It does nothing well.
It, however, is remarkably fuel efficient, has lots of interior space and relatively reliable.
Tax benefits make it relatively cost efficient.

There is a tremendous disconnect between what your pedal does and what the car does. The sounds it makes do not reflect at all what the car is doing dynamically.

Even worse than driving ones is driving behind one. The drivers seem more interested in growing leaves on the dash or getting a personal best fuel economy number than blending in with the flow of traffic.

The Model 3 on the other hand is perhaps one of the finest driving experiences available today.

Unfortunately, over the last few months I find that people coming up behind me often treat my volt like a prius, although the volt accelerates fine as it has almost 50% more HP and 100% more torque than the prime and can go 2x as far on the battery (My gen one usually ends up between 42-49miles if I cruise and don't use the heat. But still lots of drivers cut in front of you or want to get around you when they see those carpool lane stickers. Strangely this often involves me getting cutting off only to end up behind a prius lol.

I have had the check engine light come on though. I just bypassed the coolant reservoir level sensor with a bypass kit for $40. Apparently it accounts for about 75% of all repairs done by the dealership, and the sensor will only fail again later. Too bad a single sensor has brought the reliability of the car down so much. I think GM is leaving the terrible sensors in or else they wouldn't get them into the shop for a quick $300 bucks often enough. Still very high customer satisfaction and good reliability. Hopefully the sensor bypass solves my issue as I was getting tired of turning off the check engine light so my car could charge every day. It was coming one once or twice a day so, so far so good!

I drove my truck to work today (Have a Traeger smoker in the back I'm transporting for a BBQ this weekend), and really found myself missing the regen braking. Not a single person tailgating me either, and I was only going 70 which is about what I do in the volt when cruising.

Delivery estimate is September - November, not sure if I should sell the volt next month or wait until September. Truck is also going up for sale as soon as I can clean it up.

Having driven a Prius for years I always found this interesting.. and annoying.

I would be in the left lane around 80 and every few minutes someone would angrily pull up and sit on my bumper until I let them through or they would go around. Then a minute later I catch up with them as they slow down.

On the other hand in the Model 3 I've seen a surprising number of people move out of the way even when I'm not going particularly fast or pushing them in any way.

oh when Prius' out sell Tesla 3's 47 to 1, you better believe it's a competition. Good Post

The latest numbers show the Model 3 out selling the Prius Prime. o_O
Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 12.53.56 PM.png

Reactions: devilmountain
And soon enough (perhaps already) all non Tesla EVs and hybrids combined in the USA at current rates.
Decent chance they match combined US plug-ins (even if you include the S & X ;) ) which in 2018 has averaged about 16,700/month through June, and was about 19,000 in June (excluding the Model 3). So if not July, by Aug they'll be topping that.

Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

The non-plug-in hybrid market is a lot larger than that, though. That's another 30K/month, or something, in the US?

EDIT: Here's 2017, monthly average on the year was indeed around 30,000. December 2017 Dashboard - HybridCars.com. June 2018 was 31,000. June 2018 Hybrid Cars Sales Dashboard - HybridCars.com

Last edited:
Hello, I am new here, and I live in Ohio. I have test driven a ton of cars - all of them thus far have been hybrids and plug-in hybrids. I am test driving a Model 3 tomorrow. The only reason I am considering a Model 3 is because of an inheritance. I am not wealthy by any means, but I dislike Big Oil. As it is, more Wind and Solar is coming online here in the States - so coal won't be the only source of power if I buy the Model 3. My concerns about the leap to an all-electric car are:
  1. I do not own a home (I don't want to), and few rentals have any EV charging out here. So, buying a Wall Connector is out.
  2. I don't know the maximum length of the cord in the mobile connector bundle and am worried the cord won't be long enough to reach to the dryer outlet (using the adapter.)
  3. Cold weather drains the battery more quickly than warm weather, and it gets cold here in Ohio.
  4. If I were to buy the Model 3, it would be my only vehicle (other than a bicycle).
  5. My commute, depending on where I am working could be up to 45 miles one way.
  6. Since I am not rich, (I make about $35K /year) do I even have the right to own a Tesla?
I test drove the Chevy Volt, and it was somewhat uncomfortable for me, and I could tell that on long drives, I would be really uncomfortable. I liked the Prius Prime Advanced, and it will help me drive more sanely than my current "bat out of hell" fast driving style. I also liked (I'm so ashamed to say it) the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Limited - it was comfortable.

I am so conflicted and would like to hear your thoughts.

Hello, I am new here, and I live in Ohio. I have test driven a ton of cars - all of them thus far have been hybrids and plug-in hybrids. I am test driving a Model 3 tomorrow. The only reason I am considering a Model 3 is because of an inheritance. I am not wealthy by any means, but I dislike Big Oil. As it is, more Wind and Solar is coming online here in the States - so coal won't be the only source of power if I buy the Model 3. My concerns about the leap to an all-electric car are:
  1. I do not own a home (I don't want to), and few rentals have any EV charging out here. So, buying a Wall Connector is out.
  2. I don't know the maximum length of the cord in the mobile connector bundle and am worried the cord won't be long enough to reach to the dryer outlet (using the adapter.)
  3. Cold weather drains the battery more quickly than warm weather, and it gets cold here in Ohio.
  4. If I were to buy the Model 3, it would be my only vehicle (other than a bicycle).
  6. Since I am not rich, (I make about $35K /year) do I even have the right to own a Tesla?
I test drove the Chevy Volt, and it was somewhat uncomfortable for me, and I could tell that on long drives, I would be really uncomfortable. I liked the Prius Prime Advanced, and it will help me drive more sanely than my current "bat out of hell" fast driving style. I also liked (I'm so ashamed to say it) the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Limited - it was comfortable.

As much as I don't want to recommend tesla because I am mad, if the model 3 is comfortable go for it. The SR+ 3 looks like it will be a great car for the money, no way I would not get it over a prius prime.

Did you test drive the volt or the bolt? I found the volt with premium interior a very comfortable car, although mine had manual seats. They also held up really well. The Chevy Bolt on the other hand was not as comfortable due to the tiny seat base. I was ready to buy a bolt when the tax incentive disappeared, but I kept thinking about the small seat and ended up backing out on it.

This assumes you can install a charger at your apartment, if you have a garage they may allow this.

Last edited:

Buy a reliable, efficient used car that's low on insurance and registration fees.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
Buy a reliable, efficient used car that's low on insurance and registration fees.
I did call my insurance company, and the insurance would be the same for the Tesla and the Prius Prime Advanced. I am done with used, the last car I bought in 2009 was just off a lease and had limited mileage. It cost me $3K in repairs to keep it on the road last year. I'm done with used.

I did call my insurance company, and the insurance would be the same for the Tesla and the Prius Prime Advanced. I am done with used, the last car I bought in 2009 was just off a lease and had limited mileage. It cost me $3K in repairs to keep it on the road last year. I'm done with used.

While the Model 3 is the better car by a considerable margin, in your situation I would go with the Prius Prime. It is super reliable and if plugging in the car on a regular basis is going to be an issue you can drive the Prime no problem whereas Model 3 will be less convenient.

2.) you can buy high amperage extension cords in various lengths that will allow you to charge from your dryer plug. Keep the length as short as possible.

3.) get a car that has at least double the EPA range of your maximum daily commute. That should cover you in all weather situations without having to supercharge.

5.) keeping point #3 in mind, both the SR and SR+ should work for your daily commute, even in the dead of winter.

6.) that’s a tough one, but you know your financial situation better than we do. If you can swing it, you’ll love it, but don’t get into a payment that’s over your head.

Where is your dryer outlet? The mobile connector length is 20 ft, so if the outlet is anywhere in the garage you should be able to make it work if you can park accordingly.

I loved my Prius, but the Model 3 is totally next-level. Especially given you mentioned your dislike for big oil, I'd go for it.

If you can reach your dryer outlet, charging isn't an issue. If you can't, then it could be. You can expect to get about 50 rated miles back per night on a regular 120V outlet, and with a 90-mi round-trip commute you could use as many as 120 rated miles per day in adverse conditions. But even given that, if there is a Supercharger nearby, you could combine nightly 120V charging with a quick stop at a Supercharger every few days and be fine.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Buy a different car.

You need to be able to charge at home. Reliably. You may move to somewhere you can't charge. Your commute is long enough that 110 won't be enough. Finally, Tesla's are not econoboxes. Tires aren't expensive, but aren't cheap either. Insurance is medium to high, trending high due to long wait for parts and no 3rd party suppliers. Out of warranty repairs are not cheap either.

Put the money in an investment instead of blowing it on a depreciating asset.

If you really need a new car, you might be able to pick up a left over base Volt for $22K or so new. (I saw them advertised leftover in the east coast). You wont be able to take the full tax credit, but whatever taxes you paid you will get it back in full.