Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my map disappearing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On two occasions now my map has either totally disappeared, or sections of it have failed to show. Why is this happening and what do I need to do to correct it?
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20230315_080343.jpg
    20230315_080343.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 334
I know on other devices, you see something like this because it's slow to load the new data.

I like satellite view to see details, but I've found that while driving, it's TOO much detail, so I reduces it to the plain map that just has roads. This is especially true when trying to look for traffic details.

Going back to Tesla, I wonder if its somehow doing a cache clearing and then reloading map data...?

If it never shows up, it could be the system glitching out. Have you tried forcibly rebooting the screen by pressing both scroll wheels until it blanks out?

Additionally, does the system have good cellular service? If you're in a bad service area and it's updating, it could be slowing down loading map data.

Thanks Goobers. I wondered if a reboot might be needed, but I've only had the car 15 days. I would have expected to get through the first month at least without having to reboot!

Question on that, if I reboot does everything reset to default? In other words do I have to rest driver profiles and driving positions, does the trip information data clear itself, do I have to reconnect my phones etc...

Anyone know why this is happening to the map?

Question on that, if I reboot does everything reset to default? In other words do I have to rest driver profiles and driving positions, does the trip information data clear itself, do I have to reconnect my phones etc...
To answer your question - no, everything stays the same in terms of settings when you reboot. It's the same as rebooting a computer since that's what you're essentially doing.

Yes, you are driving through an area with limited (or no) cell service. It clears up when service improves.
If it was happening in the Outer Hebrides I would believe that. However, this is happening within the M25 - arguably one of the UK's most connected and populated areas.

If it continues I'll try a reboot and see what that does. Good to know I don't have to reset everything after doing so - thanks.

If it was happening in the Outer Hebrides I would believe that. However, this is happening within the M25 - arguably one of the UK's most connected and populated areas.

If it continues I'll try a reboot and see what that does. Good to know I don't have to reset everything after doing so - thanks.
I would just go ahead and do the reboot. Rebooting is not a 'last desperate chance' kind of thing... You won't hurt anything and it may work. I've actually had the screen reboot while I was driving with no impact on the drive, other than having to restart my navigation.

Reactions: EV1980
Yeah ….. okay ….. but the bottom line is that the map data you’re talking about is provided to the car via Premium Connectivity which means it is dependent on the cell service connected to the car. When that signal is interrupted by anything, even in an area where service is “good”, this can happen to the display. It will recover by itself, usually pretty quickly.

The good news is that if a trip is in progress in the navigation system, there is no negative impact. It is purely a display issue. If it really bugs you, you can try going back to just the street view. Should be less demanding on the connection.

And …… @EV1980 if I sound a little “whatever” about it, I don’t mean any offense. I DO live in a rural area and so I am pretty used to it. I have one spot where it regularly happens ….. and it is not a surprise because there is ZERO cell service. The onboard computer does have some cache, but it eventually runs out if not replenished. But then recovers by itself a few minutes later when service is restored. On the other hand, sometimes I can skate through without losing the display.

I also have experienced it in places I don’t think I should …. And chalk it up to the amazing complexity of what is really going on. Thinking about all the servers, gateways, wires, towers, satellites, and whatever else is between me and my car to get that map image delivered and displayed to me WHILE I’M MOVING kind of blows my mind. Not like my old-fashioned ICE cars that had all the navigation data on board in memory or a dvd. And then multiply by the huge number of cars driving around receiving the data. Yikes.

I’ve had another interesting experience with the display when driving through a certain area. In this case, the map data will just freeze at some point and not update at all. My little red triangle “drives” off the screen and the map data is frozen in place. After my first panic attack with that, I figured out that if I ask the car to navigate me somewhere (home, work …..) that wakes up the system and it finds itself again. Then I cancel the trip and I’m all good.

Anyway ….. no offense meant with my previous reply. These are amazing cars with some amazing technology going on behind them. Even little things like real-time navigation data coming from the cloud ……. Amazing …… and easily taken for granted. No more solicitations to pay a bunch of money to update the map data in your car.

Reboot can sometimes help fix weird glitches.

But the map data is at the mercy of the cell connection. It could be poor signal or too much user congestion on the network or depending on Teslas agreement with the provider, the car may have lower network priority than phones and other devices.

btw, @EV1980 …. Love the DangerMouse avatar. Been a long time …… brought back fond memories of watching him and Penfold with my #1 son ….
Haha, thanks. There's a personal significance to it too - One day (before I got my Tesla) my youngest said that the Tesla logo looked like DangerMouse's nose - I cracked up at that and haven't been able to look at the logo in the same way since! 😂

We had the blank screen/no map data issue twice today. Each time was when we passed through Bolton, going to and coming back from Bury. Odd really as the mobile service is usually very good in that area and there are relay masts all over the place.

After the data went on the outward journey it never returned while we were driving, only reappearing after the car had been parked in Bury for a couple of hours. On the return journey we left it to see if it would sort itself out when we hit the M60; it didn't so we put a destination into the navigation to see if that would prompt anything. That brought up the route and a map but with no labels or other data - presumably a cached version from memory? Did a reboot while we were driving* which did bring back the full map data.

*(Note for the uninitiated - doing this means you lose the speedo display for a while and of course have no access to any screen based functions/controls until the reboot finishes)

(In other news, the Hong Kong Food Festival at Bury Market was good, if a bit crowded.)

Ive got a ticket logged with Tesla for this as on a long journey the map will go blank on road or satellite View. Even if WiFi is connected it doesn't return.

Tesla called me this afternoon to let me know its a known bug and a firmware fix is being worked on.

I guess it's some sort of cache issue that is bugging out and not clearing down correctly.

I had the same this weekend, i was driving through Germany, and suddenly when the car "zoomed in" on the map, there would be large grey blocks instead of sattelite view.

If i zoomed out, it went back to being "green" sattelite view, but as soon as it returned to the more zoomed in view, it would become grey again.,

Same here, driving in the Netherlands and Germany., last two weeks. Sometime, the map start loading when the red arrow showing your car location gets close to a grey square, but in some cases I was in the middle of the grey square before stars loading. 2023 model y RDW