Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Navigation so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The funny thing to me is, I don't use the car's navigation in any other car we own except our Tesla. They all suck BADLY. Of course, our others all have Carplay and/or Android Auto allowing us to use our phone's gps app.

I haven't had any issues with Tesla navigation honestly, but it will be nice if Tesla ever gets Carplay or Android Auto. Having options is always nice. In fact, I often use google maps or Waze on my phone and just set the Tesla navigation for supercharger routing.

I just thought of one issue I have with Tesla nav. It doesn't stop the music when the guide speaks. While I know I can turn the volume up on the nav voice, I sometimes have the radio on, and sometimes don't. I don't want to have to adjust the nav volume every time I turn the radio on/off. I don't understand why it doesn't mute or lower the radio volume like it does when it gives you the warning chimes for other things - like setting AP, or getting a nag warning beep, etc. I have literally missed turns because I didn't hear the nav guide and had otherwise fallen asleep (ok, not literally on that part :))

Reactions: ElectricTravel
I just thought of one issue I have with Tesla nav. It doesn't stop the music when the guide speaks. While I know I can turn the volume up on the nav voice, I sometimes have the radio on, and sometimes don't.
I solved this problem by permanently muting the Nav Lady. Now it's not so much of an issue, but before avoiding toll roads was enabled, it was very annoying to hear the Nav Lady trying to make you turn every block to get to the toll road you don't want to take.

I solved this problem by permanently muting the Nav Lady. Now it's not so much of an issue, but before avoiding toll roads was enabled, it was very annoying to hear the Nav Lady trying to make you turn every block to get to the toll road you don't want to take.

Me too. Makes for a more peaceful drive, and with all the screens showing turns it's plenty of reminders for me.

Reactions: jerry33
I like the Tesla Nav better than any other I've had in the past. The only issue I have had is a couple of instances of disagreement between the route on the map and the actual instructions that are in the upper left corner. I think (but not positive) I remember reading one post that said these two came from different sources ?

Interesting thought. I think Tesla currently defaults to doing route planning at mothership and passing the route back to the car, so in principle they could send you a download for the areas near your route starting right after you get a route out of your local area.

This approach would mean more map data delivery over cellular instead of Wi-Fi, and I'd still want to have a baseline update periodically for the full map, but you could stretch out the period.

The incremental updates to the surrounding area could be done overnight via WiFi, and would be very small, since only a very, very small amount of data is changed at one time.

Updating the map data along the route ahead that's outside of the "up-to-date" zone would also require relatively small amounts of data - probably less than the bandwidth used to send Google satellite maps.

Just sent this to [email protected]

I love the car, but this has caused several issues.

The dome lite goes on and off, and chimes when it happens without me touching it.
The navigation has gone bonkers, so it is un useable, as well as the touch screen not taking commands.
When I slow down, the navigation screen does not zoom closer, it always or mostly stays zoomed way out like 5 mile in the air out.

Need waypoints added, what if I do not like the proposed route, and want to take a different way during the trip.

You can see the results in my youtube.

The dome lite goes on and off, and chimes when it happens without me touching it.
The navigation has gone bonkers, so it is un useable, as well as the touch screen not taking commands.
When I slow down, the navigation screen does not zoom closer, it always or mostly stays zoomed way out like 5 mile in the air out.

Need waypoints added, what if I do not like the proposed route, and want to take a different way during the trip.

Have you tried a deep reboot?

I like the Tesla Nav better than any other I've had in the past. The only issue I have had is a couple of instances of disagreement between the route on the map and the actual instructions that are in the upper left corner. I think (but not positive) I remember reading one post that said these two came from different sources ?
Sort of. The displayed map is Google, and the route is Navigon. You can test out what happens when you are not in cellphone range. The map will disappear but the blue trip line will remain--there is a cache, so recently viewed map areas may still be visible.

Yes I did twice, came back... also performed a Bug Report each time it was acting up.

So this definitely is not normal nav behaviour :eek:
Have you tried to narrow down, like switch to map view, north only view,... ? Remove USB keys if any...
Looks like the GPS is playing tricks with the Nav.

To me it's not a bug, so not sure bug report will help. There is something wrong and I would have the SeC look at it, and if too far away, ask road assistance if they can fix it.

Have you tried to narrow down, like switch to map view, north only view,... ? Remove USB keys if any...

The console is unresponsive when this is happening. Will not respond to any touches.
No USB keys in this model, see my signature it is a Model S 2013 P85

Looks like you have a problem with your MCU that is causing it to think it's getting a whole lot of touch input which is overriding anything you might do and overwhelming the system bandwidth.

Definitely time to talk to s service center.

In the mean time, if you need to use the Nav for some reason, you should be able to initiate it by either voice command or phone app, but the constant zooming may prevent you from seeing much anyway.

Reactions: StarLog

To me it's not a bug, so not sure bug report will help. There is something wrong and I would have the SeC look at it, and if too far away, ask road assistance if they can fix it.
Bug reports will pin down the time so that they can quickly find the issue in the logs. Needs to be followed up with a call to service though.

The funny thing to me is, I don't use the car's navigation in any other car we own except our Tesla. They all suck BADLY. Of course, our others all have Carplay and/or Android Auto allowing us to use our phone's gps app.

I haven't had any issues with Tesla navigation honestly, but it will be nice if Tesla ever gets Carplay or Android Auto. Having options is always nice. In fact, I often use google maps or Waze on my phone and just set the Tesla navigation for supercharger routing.

I just thought of one issue I have with Tesla nav. It doesn't stop the music when the guide speaks. While I know I can turn the volume up on the nav voice, I sometimes have the radio on, and sometimes don't. I don't want to have to adjust the nav volume every time I turn the radio on/off. I don't understand why it doesn't mute or lower the radio volume like it does when it gives you the warning chimes for other things - like setting AP, or getting a nag warning beep, etc. I have literally missed turns because I didn't hear the nav guide and had otherwise fallen asleep (ok, not literally on that part :))

It does lower the music volume. I'm surprised you have not noticed.

I've found it to be quite good with the exception of speed limits in certain areas. Far better than Toyota's which routed through Kentucky when driving between Texas and Nebraska.