Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the 60 kWh Tesla Model S not being offered in China? A strategic decision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Offer only 85 kwh in China is a smart strategy, if you look at the number of reservations here in China ( assuming over 600) , this first group of reservation holders will definitely choose 85 kwh, price is not a problem ! the fact is Model S pricing in China is very competitive and attractive compare with same category imported cars.

FYI, I just confirmed my order yesterday as soon as they announced the price, and I did choose P85!

Offer only 85 kwh in China is a smart strategy, if you look at the number of reservations here in China ( assuming over 600) , this first group of reservation holders will definitely choose 85 kwh, price is not a problem ! the fact is Model S pricing in China is very competitive and attractive compare with same category imported cars.

FYI, I just confirmed my order yesterday as soon as they announced the price, and I did choose P85!

Congratulations

With pricing at $122K for the 85, a top of the line model S will be price competitive with 5 Series BMWs and cheaper Benz's not just S Class. More than 30K S Class Mercedes sold in China last year at an equivalent of over $200k dollars. I think Tesla expects to be very much constrained by production capacity rather than sales and will have no need for lower priced models in China for awhile.

I still don't understand this and have heard it elsewhere, any chance someone can clarify what this means?

Most large cities in China (or perhaps it's at the national level?) have strict limits on how many cars can be licensed each year. For example Beijing only plans to issue 150,000 license plates this year. People enter a lottery in hopes of getting the chance at a license. There are sometimes limits on EV's too, but in Beijing for instance they have a separate lottery with proportionally more licenses. If imports can only contribute 1/3 of the total EV licenses theoretically Tesla could be constrained by these regulations and therefore it would be optimal to only sell cars that generate the highest profit per car.