Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the grid supplying energy during peak rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using Time-Based Control Mode for my Powerwall. Peak time is from 2pm until 6pm. I set the backup reserve to 20%. I have power coming from solar and plenty of charge in the Powerwall yet I'm still pulling from the grid during this time... Any ideas?

IMG_0131.jpg
ha.png

Disclaimer: I have none of this equipment.

Any chance it has estimated that it will be below 20% before 6PM so it's trickling in a little in order to get you there?

Also, surely on even an overcast day you'd be making more than 0.4kW from your solar between 2 and 6 PM? I sometimes made that much while it was raining on my boat where I had only 2100W of solar.

I'm using Time-Based Control Mode for my Powerwall. Peak time is from 2pm until 6pm. I set the backup reserve to 20%. I have power coming from solar and plenty of charge in the Powerwall yet I'm still pulling from the grid during this time... Any ideas?

View attachment 754256View attachment 754257
Are you using one of the Tesla pre-set rate plans based on your provider?
Or did you program in the TOU yourself?
Mine (PG&E TOU-B) doesn't have enough price difference between peak and off peak to cause the system to cycle during the winter period (8 months of the year). I've had my PW for 2 years but these pre-programed price / charts are pretty new.

View attachment 754256View attachment 754257

If the peak and off peak price is not at least 10% different, I dont think the systems new algorithms will prioritize using the powerwall power. If thats the behavior you want, then you will need to increase the delta between the prices to trigger that.

take a look through the sticky thread on scheduling behavior, etc:

Reactions: jboy210
Disclaimer: I have none of this equipment.

Any chance it has estimated that it will be below 20% before 6PM so it's trickling in a little in order to get you there?

Also, surely on even an overcast day you'd be making more than 0.4kW from your solar between 2 and 6 PM? I sometimes made that much while it was raining on my boat where I had only 2100W of solar.
I don't imagine that's the case, but who knows... The 0.4kW was just from a passing cloud, the system generated about 18kWh so far today.

Are you using one of the Tesla pre-set rate plans based on your provider?
Or did you program in the TOU yourself?
Mine (PG&E TOU-B) doesn't have enough price difference between peak and off peak to cause the system to cycle during the winter period (8 months of the year). I've had my PW for 2 years but these pre-programed price / charts are pretty new.
I'm not using a pre-set plan, I entered the times and prices manually. The price differences are pretty drastic, too... $0.04 for off peak and $0.20 for peak.

If the peak and off peak price is not at least 10% different, I dont think the systems new algorithms will prioritize using the powerwall power. If thats the behavior you want, then you will need to increase the delta between the prices to trigger that.

take a look through the sticky thread on scheduling behavior, etc:

$0.04 for off peak and $0.20 for peak, so there's definitely enough difference. I'll check out that sticky though, thanks.

I think that the algorithm behind Time Based control mode is deeply flawed and a shoddy design from Tesla. At least for me it results in random, unnecessary and expensive use of power from grid, and so I would recommend avoiding using it if you can.

I am in the UK and as yet unable to enter price difference between peak and off peak, so no idea what it assumes and no way to try to trick it into behaving more reasonably as some owners have managed to do. In winter months, when there is little solar generation, I use the powerwall to provide load shifting - charging from grid in cheaper off peak period. To do this reliably I use self powered mode and have a script running on a Raspberry Pi that adjusts the battery reserve at start and end of my off peak supply. However in self powered mode the powerwall only charges from grid at a slow 1.7kW rate, and so when the battery is low I swap to Time Based control mode (that does use the 3.4kW optimum) to get sufficient charging in the off peak hours.