Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Model S when Model X is coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm deeply interested in a 2014 delivery of a Model S, but with the Model X coming, supposedly at a lower price point, with AWD, enhanced steering wheel controls, etc, etc, why would I not wait for the Model X?

My left brain is struggling with my right brain. Thoughts?

I'll be astonished if the X comes in at a lower price point than the S.

Advantages of an S today over an X sometime in 2015:

- Who wants to drive an ICE until the X is available?
- The S is smaller, and it's already a big car.
- The X will be less efficient and thus have higher operating costs.

Lower price? Doubt that. Same platform as Model S; but larger, more seats. Hard to imagine how it could be less expensive.

I always figured the X would be less aerodynamic (larger cross section), and heavier; therefore range will be less. I'm astonished the battery capacities are identical.

There's a lot of astonishment in this thread :)

I'm deeply interested in a 2014 delivery of a Model S, but with the Model X coming, supposedly at a lower price point, with AWD, enhanced steering wheel controls, etc, etc, why would I not wait for the Model X?

My left brain is struggling with my right brain. Thoughts?

The Model X will actually cost more since all Model X cars will be AWD.

Though waiting or not is up to you and depends on your needs. Do you want an SUV/crossover or a sedan? I am sure all the options that are available on the X will be options on the S as Tesla continues to add options from time to time. 2014 Model S will also have AWD though as an option. So you have to look at it like this, does the Model S offer what you want? or is there something specific you want from the X?

You can't go wrong with either.

Besides from the others already mentioned (that it'll likely cost more, have slightly less range/efficiency etc.), not everyone wants an SUV. For some people (including me) the Model S is already a bit too big, and the Model X is even bigger.

The AWD is compelling and I'm gonna trade my beloved MS for an identical AWD version if/when it's available.

For us it's the interior space. My wife takes a large pack of large dogs on hikes almost daily. Watch the MX rollout video for an example. My wife watched it last year and when it finished she said: "I'll take one of those" so...MX res#1950.:smile:

Having seen the X in Geneva, and having the S for 4 month, i believe model X makes sense, when you need 7 seats often and or AWD. As for the cargo space, i'm almost sure, the MS offers more usable space, when ordered with 5 seats. .. and of course it's a matter of personal taste, i just love the sleek looks of an MS ; )) +1 for better efficiency of MS.