Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Sitcky?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a thread of ACTUAL known statements from Tesla about the Model 3, absent non-Tesla speculation. Does this exist?

As March 31st approaches I want to base my deposit decision on what is actually known about the 3... without having to take a deep dive in through the forum and drown in wishful thinking:love:

There is no thread as you describe. People love to speculate. Below is my opinion...
Based on what has been stated by Elon and Tesla, the 3 will be:

1 - About 20% smaller than the S

2 - Have a minimum of 200 miles of "real world" range

3 - Sedan style and sport utility style (no promise that the latter will be launched at the same time as the former)

4 - A "performance" version will be available as an option

5 - Base price before govt. rebates of US$35,000. No specifics on what the base model will include.

That is all that has been specifically committed to. Everything else you read is speculation, some of it reasonable based on Tesla's history, some of it fanciful. Elon did tweet to say that one of the versions of the 3 will have Falcon Wing doors and then a few days later deleted that tweet. Make of that what you will.

There is no thread as you describe. People love to speculate. Below is my opinion...
Based on what has been stated by Elon and Tesla, the 3 will be:

1 - About 20% smaller than the S

2 - Have a minimum of 200 miles of "real world" range

3 - Sedan style and sport utility style (no promise that the latter will be launched at the same time as the former)

4 - A "performance" version will be available as an option

5 - Base price before govt. rebates of US$35,000. No specifics on what the base model will include.

That is all that has been specifically committed to. Everything else you read is speculation, some of it reasonable based on Tesla's history, some of it fanciful. Elon did tweet to say that one of the versions of the 3 will have Falcon Wing doors and then a few days later deleted that tweet. Make of that what you will.

6. New battery architecture

7. New motor technology

8. New vehicle structure

9. next generation technology

Tesla CTO: Weve shifted core focus to Model 3, majority of employees now working on mass production of $35,000 vehicle | Electrek

Everything else you read is speculation, some of it reasonable based on Tesla's history, some of it fanciful.

Well, we do know a bit more...
6 - Base version will have 2WD, and 4WD will be an option according to Elon. We do not know if the 2WD will be FWD or RWD.

And your #3 is inaccurate. We do know that Gen-III will be what you describe, but it is (sort of) unclear if the SUV/CUV version will be a version of Model 3 or a different model (Model Y?).

Elon did tweet to say that one of the versions of the 3 will have Falcon Wing doors and then a few days later deleted that tweet.

Correction: He tweeted that on of Model 3 and Model Y will have Falcon Wing Doors. In an interview a few days later he was asked about this deleted tweet and answered that he was of course talking about the Model Y. So we know:

7 - Model 3 will not have the Falcon Wing Doors.

We do not know what "Model Y" will be or when it will be unveiled, but everything points to it being the Gen-III SUV/CUV with Falcon Wing Doors - but yes, we do not know this.

For those responding, can you copy or link the actual comment, tweet or release from Tesla? Then could a moderator (or anyone more knowledgeable than me about the format) create a Sticky of these documented tidbits?

Ok.

6 - Base version will have 2WD, and 4WD will be an option according to Elon. We do not know if the 2WD will be FWD or RWD.

http://insideevs.com/elon-musk-two-wheel-drive-standard-tesla-model-3-awd-option/

Correction: He tweeted that on of Model 3 and Model Y will have Falcon Wing Doors.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/10/tesla-model-y-with-falcon-wing-doors-hinted-at-by-elon-musk/

In an interview a few days later he was asked about this deleted tweet and answered that he was of course talking about the Model Y. So we know:

7 - Model 3 will not have the Falcon Wing Doors.

Elon Musk and Y Combinator President on Thinking for the Future - FULL CONVERSATION - YouTube

For those responding, can you copy or link the actual comment, tweet or release from Tesla? Then could a moderator (or anyone more knowledgeable than me about the format) create a Sticky of these documented tidbits?

Two additional suggestions for organizing the list:

1. If there are multiple sources that fundamentally make the same claim, with minor variations, include links to both sources. (Hypothetical example: "Model 3 will be about 20% smaller than Model S" and "Model 3 will be about 25% smaller than Model S".) If there's disagreement about whether two claims are fundamentally the same, list them both and group them together.

2. If there are conflicting claims, group them together, and list them in reverse-chronological order so that the most recent statement (and therefore the most likely to be accurate) will appear first. (Hypothetical example: "Model Y will not be revealed concurrently with Model 3" / "Model Y will be revealed concurrently with Model 3".)

Two additional suggestions for organizing the list:

1. If there are multiple sources that fundamentally make the same claim, with minor variations, include links to both sources. (Hypothetical example: "Model 3 will be about 20% smaller than Model S" and "Model 3 will be about 25% smaller than Model S".) If there's disagreement about whether two claims are fundamentally the same, list them both and group them together.

2. If there are conflicting claims, group them together, and list them in reverse-chronological order so that the most recent statement (and therefore the most likely to be accurate) will appear first. (Hypothetical example: "Model Y will not be revealed concurrently with Model 3" / "Model Y will be revealed concurrently with Model 3".)
Sounds like we could use a sticky-wiki. :tongue:

(Sorry -- couldn't help myself...)