Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why should a Tesla be allowed to roll backward on a hill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be something I am overlooking. I'm relating this to my other car that when I am on an incline such as those San Francisco hills and other similar places; when I take my foot off the brake, it does NOT roll backward and potentially hit that tourist behind me so close on my bumper. Several newer cars have this feature. They just automatically hold the car from rolling back.

With the MX, unless I remember to press hard on the brake to put it in "hold" mode, it rolls backward when I take my foot off the brake. I'm thinking there should never be a reason for it to do this. On the rare occasion that I might need it to roll backward, I'll jut put it in neutral for a short time.

I'm reminded of a time when I had to use the emergency brake in an older car to hold it until I apply some torque with the accelerator as I move again. Maybe I should just get in the habit of hard pressing the brake pedal for a few seconds to get it to hold. Something I think the car should just do.
I drive with creep off and it will roll back unless you use the hill hold feature. I came from manual tranny car so this is not an issue for me. The accelerator pedal is so easy to modulate you can hold with just that

To answer your question, what you are experiencing is not an anomaly.

Any car with a manual transmission (basically 80% of cars built before 1999) would have the same problem. Your situation is exactly why the brake -hold- function was designed for. Use it.
Following up. Actually according to Tesla, my issues was an anomaly compared to the way it was supposed to function. For a year it worked as described, then it suddenly stopped and I thought for a while that it might have been related to an update, but it wasn't. Tesla corrected it. But yea, I understand what you mean about those cars before 2000 and even earlier. Starting off from an incline these days is a piece of cake compared to the 60s.

What I'd like is when the car has hold engaged, it won't roll back when the accelerator is pressed. That is, the brake stays engaged until the motor is producing enough torque to at least prevent the car from rolling backwards. Currently, when you press on the accelerator if the car is on a steep hill, it will roll backwards until the motor catches the car. I can think of no case where that's desirable.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
What I'd like is when the car has hold engaged, it won't roll back when the accelerator is pressed. That is, the brake stays engaged until the motor is producing enough torque to at least prevent the car from rolling backwards. Currently, when you press on the accelerator if the car is on a steep hill, it will roll backwards until the motor catches the car. I can think of no case where that's desirable.
Mine catches right away even on the steepest San Francisco hills. It might roll back at most 1/2 an inch but the torque is right there.

For someone who drove for 15 years should know how a car behaves on a hill. :rolleyes:

In most countries you can't even get a license for not knowing how to control the car on a hill, it's part of the driving test.
Yes, I think anyone whom has driving a standard transmission know how they behave on a hill :) Perhaps you missed something in the thread. My curiosity when posting was that something suddenly changed and the car no longer held on a hill in creep mode off, as it did previously. Tesla fixed the issue. You must be my brother. He always likes to correct me about everything. Even when it isn't important ;)

I like RDoc's point regarding rolling backward..... "I can think of no case where that's desirable."

Last edited: