Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why so many Model 3 on eBay for close to cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are hoping to capture the various tax credits. In CA its $10k with the federal credit included. It's illegal, but the IRS would have to catch them, then prove that they "intended" to resell. Also, if they are employees they have had the car for a few months now so it would be hard to prove in court that this was their plan all along.

No production car on the planet allows you to profit $7,500+ after driving it off the lot.

Rolling that $7,500 into a new Model S with another $7,500 off or into another Model 3 with dual motor would be a winning move.

Also with the ability to make two reservations, you can sell one and just keep the other one.

There is nothing to be concerned about - just arbitrage for the have and have nots.

Perhaps sellers have reservations for other Model 3s, selling their current one to move up (performance), more economical (SR (short range)) or get an AWD (D (dual motor)) version.

Personally, my reservation is for the performance version. Not selling the LG (long range) yet, but could do it any day.

Not a concern, no buyer's remorse*.

*although this could change if a solution to the 'phone as key' problem is not solved. But, let's be real, it will be, hence my reservation for the performance (aka P).

Reactions: MXWing
Let's see, just off the top of my head, there's the Bolt, Leaf....
But you aren't going to get what you paid selling a Bolt or a Leaf. Demand just isn't there. Why should they pay the price of a new one and NOT get the tax credit? With the Model 3 they are potentially getting the car moths or years before they normally could.

Dan

Let's see, just off the top of my head, there's the Bolt, Leaf....

Even with all the private offers GM threw at me, they couldn't even GIVE me a brand new Bolt for $6000 off MSRP last year.

I don't think you are understanding my point.

A Model 3 can be resold for MSRP PLUS the tax you paid, meaning you pocket the federal rebate plus any state incentives.

You can get a Bolt/Leaf for practically nothing, and you will be getting rid of them for less than practically nothing...

I will chuckle when the first CA owner who sold a Model 3 for the rebate profit finds out there's a limit of 2 CVRP rebates now and whines about it. And then gets caught selling it when they complain to the CVRP that they don't have the car anymore so they should get an extra rebate.