Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the lever for PRND?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't researched the laws, but I know a lever isn't required. We test drove a new TLX, and it just has buttons for the drive mode.

image.jpeg

You don't want it on the touchscreen. Period. If the screen reboots, you can't put the car in park, or drive, or neutral, or anything, for 30-60 seconds (or more). That would be a catastrophically bad idea.

You want this set of controls utterly separate from the infotainment system.
Agreed. Of course Tesla could have used buttons as they did on the Roadster 2.0/2.5 cars, but for something you want to be instantly accessible for safety reasons, a lever is better because it is faster and easier to operate than separate buttons.

Reactions: MileHighMotoring
I hadn't considered the screen going blank while driving. Since the lever isn't mechanical though, how would you confirm that the desired mode was reached? It is my understanding that putting the car in park sets the parking brake. Is there an audible sound to confirm that the car would be placed in park?

• Helpful
Reactions: ikjadoon
Umm... isn't it the opposite of that?
This is an endless debate on Leaf forums, where I'm coming from. In the Leaf, it's a joy-stick like puck, with forward for reverse and backward for forward (sideways for neutral, button for park, or just turn the car off for park). About half, including me, think it should be reversed. I'd say the same for a lever on the column - I find up for forward and down for reverse to be natural, but people used to driving an automatic transmission expect reverse to be up from drive, even though they're both down from park, which is different from electrics where park is usually a button and the rest position of the shifter is centered. In a manual, of course, the direction of reverse varies from model to model, but forward gears are in both directions.

This makes me think of the debate a few years ago when Apple reversed the direction scroll wheels work, to match touchscreen gestures. I like it, others hate it, especially if they have to switch between Windows and Mac since Windows is still the other way.

This is an endless debate on Leaf forums, where I'm coming from. In the Leaf, it's a joy-stick like puck, with forward for reverse and backward for forward (sideways for neutral, button for park, or just turn the car off for park). About half, including me, think it should be reversed. I'd say the same for a lever on the column - I find up for forward and down for reverse to be natural, but people used to driving an automatic transmission expect reverse to be up from drive, even though they're both down from park, which is different from electrics where park is usually a button and the rest position of the shifter is centered. In a manual, of course, the direction of reverse varies from model to model, but forward gears are in both directions.

This makes me think of the debate a few years ago when Apple reversed the direction scroll wheels work, to match touchscreen gestures. I like it, others hate it, especially if they have to switch between Windows and Mac since Windows is still the other way.
The order and position of gears is included in the standard in my link above. I guess they could put the lever on the left to put drive above reverse :)

S3.1.1.1 Transmission shift levers. If a steering-column-mounted transmission shift lever is used, movement from neutral position to forward drive position shall be clockwise. If the transmission shift lever sequence includes a park position, it shall be located at the end, adjacent to the reverse drive position.

I hadn't considered the screen going blank while driving. Since the lever isn't mechanical though, how would you confirm that the desired mode was reached? It is my understanding that putting the car in park sets the parking brake. Is there an audible sound to confirm that the car would be placed in park?
In the Model S, since it has a gauge cluster, I think there is a visual indicator there. So maybe if the Model 3 has a HUD, it might show there.