Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why they're called stealerships

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought my MS on 25 Jan. Temporary registration good through 11 March. AZDOT is usually very good at issuing plates within two weeks, three at the outside. When I hadn't received my plate by 8 March, I sent an inquiry. DOT says they've received no paperwork from the dealer.

On the 12th, I called the dealer's finance department and got hung up on. I texted the salesman to go light a fire under their arse. Salesman got back to me an hour later saying the reason for the delay was that they're waiting on the previous title.

"So you sold me a vehicle when you didn't have the title."
"...yea, we did."
"You know that's illegal."
"...yea."

They emailed me another 30-day temp plate. I emailed the GM demanding to know what kind of shens he thinks he's pulling, and noted that I had found my trade-in as available on their site two weeks before they paid it off, so this appears to be SOP. They're doing the title version of kiting a check.

Silence.

Total silence.

Anyone have any input before I report them to the AZ Attorney General? In the meantime, I can't put the car on my Tesla account because I don't have the permanent registration, and it has the low-speed loose-mounts thunk that needs looked at.

So I bought my MS on 25 Jan. Temporary registration good through 11 March. AZDOT is usually very good at issuing plates within two weeks, three at the outside. When I hadn't received my plate by 8 March, I sent an inquiry. DOT says they've received no paperwork from the dealer.

On the 12th, I called the dealer's finance department and got hung up on. I texted the salesman to go light a fire under their arse. Salesman got back to me an hour later saying the reason for the delay was that they're waiting on the previous title.

"So you sold me a vehicle when you didn't have the title."
"...yea, we did."
"You know that's illegal."
"...yea."

They emailed me another 30-day temp plate. I emailed the GM demanding to know what kind of shens he thinks he's pulling, and noted that I had found my trade-in as available on their site two weeks before they paid it off, so this appears to be SOP. They're doing the title version of kiting a check.

Silence.

Total silence.

Anyone have any input before I report them to the AZ Attorney General? In the meantime, I can't put the car on my Tesla account because I don't have the permanent registration, and it has the low-speed loose-mounts thunk that needs looked at.
Before you freak out, maybe another location had the title and it was the intercompany transfer that was the problem

If this was purchased through Tesla, they sell their lease returns before the bank provides the title. It's not quite right, but they do it everyday- I had the same problem with our 85D last summer, took almost 90 days to get a title, Tesla issued a new temp tag w/o issue and once they had the title, they finished the registration. It was a pain, but it worked.

If this was purchased through Tesla, they sell their lease returns before the bank provides the title. It's not quite right, but they do it everyday- I had the same problem with our 85D last summer, took almost 90 days to get a title, Tesla issued a new temp tag w/o issue and once they had the title, they finished the registration. It was a pain, but it worked.

I didn't buy from Tesla. I went with a USAA preferred dealer since USAA handled the financing.