Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why we need level 2 driverless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
Very sad: J.B. Strabel's wife has died.
Quote:
A Washoe Valley woman was killed early Saturday when a car hit her bicycle head-on at Washoe County mile marker 1 and alternate U.S. 395.
Boryana Straubel, 38, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Nevada Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
A spokesman said the Ford Edge was traveling south on the road and Straubel was traveling north when the vehicle crossed the double-yellow line and struck the bicyclist.

Very sad: J.B. Strabel's wife has died.
Quote:
A Washoe Valley woman was killed early Saturday when a car hit her bicycle head-on at Washoe County mile marker 1 and alternate U.S. 395.
Boryana Straubel, 38, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Nevada Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
A spokesman said the Ford Edge was traveling south on the road and Straubel was traveling north when the vehicle crossed the double-yellow line and struck the bicyclist.

My condolences to the Strabel family. What a terrible tragedy!

But your title is wrong. There is no such thing as "L2 driverless". L2 by definition cannot be "driverless" since L2 is a driver assist that requires human intervention.

Horrible.
The 2015 Ford Edge had lane keep assist as an option but from the picture it doesn't look like this one was equipped with it. It is standard on the current model.
The advantage of the Tesla driver is that it will lower the speeds on curves. Doesn't do a great job yet, but is improving. Are there are other systems that do that?
Links with pics:

Last edited:
The advantage of the Tesla driver is that it will lower the speeds on curves. Doesn't do a great job yet, but is improving. Are there are other systems that do that?
The Ford system does respond to speed limit signs so maybe if the curve was marked?
I don't think I would ever use Autosteer on that type of road (and of course Tesla says you shouldn't). Does TACC slow down for curves without Autosteer enabled?

Reactions: DanCar
I don't think I would ever use Autosteer on that type of road (and of course Tesla says you shouldn't). Does TACC slow down for curves without Autosteer enabled?
I have the FSD option, so I'm thinking in that context.
> Tesla says you shouldn't
From latest Model 3 owners manual:
Tesla said:
WARNING: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present.
Interesting how Tesla contradicts itself. Yes use on highways, but don't use on highways because bicyclists or pedestrians might be present.

Highway - Wikipedia Quote: A highway is any public or private road or other public way on land.
Wikipedia link about US-395A: U.S. Route 395 Alternate - Wikipedia

More links about tragedy:
  1. NHP Identifies Bicyclist Killed in Crash on U.S. 395A Saturday Morning (has map)
  2. Bicyclist identified in fatal Washoe Valley crash
  3. NHP investigating fatal crash Saturday that killed 38-year-old Washoe Valley bicycle rider

So sad to hear this news about JB's spouse... as a fellow cyclist, may she rest in peace.

On June 19, 2021, Straubel's wife Boryana Straubel was killed while riding a bicycle when a car hit her head-on in Washoe County, Nevada.

1624418219267.png

But your title is wrong. There is no such thing as "L2 driverless". L2 by definition cannot be "driverless" since L2 is a driver assist that requires human intervention.
Incorrect: L2 is a driver assist that requires driver attention.

From SAE J3016 - Level 2
What does the human in the driver's seat have to do?
You are driving whenever these driver support features are engaged - even if you feet are off the pedals and you are not steering
You must constantly supervise these support features; you must steer, brake or accelerate as needed to maintain safety

Supervise & steer, brake, accelerate as needed. That's driver attention and intervention. You're both right.

Reactions: diplomat33
Wow. I've biked around there with kids multiple times, and it's relatively empty as the main highway/interstate connecting Reno and Carson City is right next to it, so this old highway is wide and mostly only local traffic now:
us395a.png

This is facing the northbound direction which continues straight for several miles from mile marker 1.

From SAE J3016 - Level 2
What does the human in the driver's seat have to do?
You are driving whenever these driver support features are engaged - even if you feet are off the pedals and you are not steering
You must constantly supervise these support features; you must steer, brake or accelerate as needed to maintain safety

Supervise & steer, brake, accelerate as needed. That's driver attention and intervention. You're both right.
Intervene as necessary. It might never be necessary.
L2's defining characteristic is requiring attention. L3 removes the attention requirement.

Last edited:
Monty Williams, head coach of the Phoenix Suns, wife dies in 2015 from a head on collision with driver that had meth in her system and crossed the center line. They have 5 children.
Quote:
Donaldson was traveling 92 miles per hour seconds before the crash and 78 mph at impact in a 40-mph zone.

If you are just going to post people dying in vehicle crashes (which is super gross to me), not sure why you are cherry picking. This happens several times a day... Unless you are intimating that someone that is "more famous" is somehow more important than all the other people this happens to, daily.

Reminds me of what use to be done in high school, during driver education. They posted gory videos of people dying in car crashes to make people paranoid and drive safer. The point of posting high profile super gross stuff is to drive home, that this can happen to anyone. No one is immune and everyone needs this.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thats not how it comes across. It comes across as you having a specific desire to post pictures and video of people getting into accidents, since this is at least the third "why we need" thread you have posted in this section along with the stated goal of posting pictures and videos of accidents.

In a separate thread, that was called "why we need the button" that got consolidated in the button thread, stating the purpose of that thread was, again, videos of accidents.
I originally posted the above in a new thread:
"Why we need the button. Video or it didn't happen." Was moved here by moderator. Has nothing to do with button watch in my opinion. Meant to be a series of videos about why we need things like level 2 fsd that sometimes stop fatal accidents. Should I try again with new thread and better subject?

"Why we need the button" is lingo for why we need FSD level 2.
@ohmman , what do you think? :)

Reminds me of what use to be done in high school, during driver education. They posted gory videos of people dying in car crashes to make people paranoid and drive safer. The point of posting high profile super gross stuff is to drive home, that this can happen to anyone. No one is immune and everyone needs this.
The films (back in the day ~1968)?we’re titled, ‘Signal 30’ and were definitely gory and hard to watch. However they did tend to help a teenage brain make a better decision and possibly avoid a vehicle tradegy,

The video I saw in driver's ed was titled red asphalt:
It comes across as you having a specific desire to post pictures and video of people getting into accidents,

You are just making my point, for me, by posting yet another video about people getting into accidents (old drivers ed video or no). There are plenty of things that were did and said back then that are not considered appropriate now.

All thats missing now is the "dont click on it if you dont like it" statement.