Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why won’t my Y follow closer than 3 car lengths?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That discussion has come up before. For the most part it's a question of driver choice / habit.

Personally, I use 1 in slow highway traffic so I don't get a boatload of people cutting me off in front. I would even want the "1" value to be even closer. I've used it in medium-speed highway driving as well when it's fairly dense, for the same reason. I typically use 2-3 otherwise... The car really slows down too early when I creep up on someone in the right lane, I don't have time to signal and change lanes... using a small value gives me time to switch lanes before it brakes for no reason.
Again, this is based on how I drive. Some people don't mind the temporary slowdown, or typically change lanes way earlier, and will be fine with a higher value.

depends on where you live I suppose. If I had mine set to 5 or 6 I'd never make it to my destination. Everyone would be passing me and pushing me further backward. 😅
I live in Saint Louis and everyone drives crazy here. If I get into heavy traffic I just turn autopilot off. I would rather be in control at that point. My old Jeep was better suited to the adaptive cruise. If I turned on my signal it would start to accelerate in the lane so once I moved over I would be keeping with traffic. No not Tesla though. I swear you have to be perfectly into the next lane before the Y will begin to accelerate. I usually just use my foot to motivate it and then let it take back over. Just don’t disobey autopilot rules of speed or it will put you in autopilot jail!

Page 89 of the manual:

FCB2DEEA-E873-479F-B181-5B277CF60B50.jpeg

Reactions: SaloonGoon
Ah, interesting, thanks. I just flick the turn signal so it does its 3 blinks, I don't hold it. maybe holding it would make the car accelerate. To me, the automated 3 blinks should be perceived as a hold but I guess it's not programmed that way. I believe I have never experienced this acceleration in 18 months of ownership.

At that point, since I have to manually hold something, might as well press the accelerator though... :)

My god if I left it on anything other than 1 every single car in Los Angeles could cram into the gaping chasm between me and the car ahead.
As it is 1 often leaves too much of a gap.

As for the original question it’s because your Y doesn’t have radar. They should be restoring the functionality shortly as the new vision system reaches parity with the old one.

My god if I left it on anything other than 1 every single car in Los Angeles could cram into the gaping chasm between me and the car ahead.
As it is 1 often leaves too much of a gap.

As for the original question it’s because your Y doesn’t have radar. They should be restoring the functionality shortly as the new vision system reaches parity with the old one.
I had a minivan decide to cut into a nonexistent gap today. A**hole literally forced his way in. Once the next lane opened I hopped over and punched it. He tried to keep pace because obviously mini van= race car. Obviously he lost.

If you have a recent 2021 Y, it is because they removed radar.
Thanks.
What would be the benefit of sitting it closer than 3? I usually have mine on 5 or 6
I prefer to not have 3 Greyhound bus lengths between my car and the vehicle ahead lol.
That discussion has come up before. For the most part it's a question of driver choice / habit.

Personally, I use 1 in slow highway traffic so I don't get a boatload of people cutting me off in front. I would even want the "1" value to be even closer. I've used it in medium-speed highway driving as well when it's fairly dense, for the same reason. I typically use 2-3 otherwise... The car really slows down too early when I creep up on someone in the right lane, I don't have time to signal and change lanes... using a small value gives me time to switch lanes before it brakes for no reason.
Again, this is based on how I drive. Some people don't mind the temporary slowdown, or typically change lanes way earlier, and will be fine with a higher value.That's what I was wondering. I never want to be that close to another car. I wonder how many hundreds of rock chips OP has on the hood?
This is why I cruise with the 1 setting; people cutting me off is annoying AF
Tesla Vision vehicles (those without radar) are currently limited to a following distance minimum of 3 car lenghts. Autopilot top speed is also capped at 80mph for now vs 90mph for radar cars. These limitations may be changed/removed over time.
Lovely.

I got pulled over in my Model S by the Montana Highway Patrol for following too closely a couple of weeks ago. He said my following distance was 1.8 seconds. My TACC was set to "3". I then set it up to "7" and timed the following time, which turned out to be roughly 2.3 seconds. Apparently, in Montana, the legal following distance is "3-4 seconds." Since the freeway speed limit is 80 mph, that puts the minimum following distance at 352 feet, or roughly 25 car lengths. The patrolman didn't give me a ticket. I didn't see very many "legal" drivers on the road. :)

• Funny
Reactions: GtiMart
I got pulled over in my Model S by the Montana Highway Patrol for following too closely a couple of weeks ago. He said my following distance was 1.8 seconds. My TACC was set to "3". I then set it up to "7" and timed the following time, which turned out to be roughly 2.3 seconds. Apparently, in Montana, the legal following distance is "3-4 seconds." Since the freeway speed limit is 80 mph, that puts the minimum following distance at 352 feet, or roughly 25 car lengths. The patrolman didn't give me a ticket. I didn't see very many "legal" drivers on the road. :)
They used to teach the two second rule in driving classes. More recently they are teaching a three second rule or more. Based on pure physics and human reaction time this is a good thing, but it's completely unrealistic when it comes to everyday driving behavior.

The following distance that most people are comfortable with is a lot more like 1 second or so, often less. It's pretty easy to prove that isn't safe, but it's also not safe to have people getting upset and swerving around you aggressively all the time. Not to mention the psychological stress of being treated like slow grandpa when yours is actually the fastest car on the road.

Reactions: SSonnentag
The three second rule is ridiculous - or more accurately impossible, because if you sit three seconds behind someone, then GUARANTEED someone else will pull into the gap and you're no longer three seconds behind

Plus at some point there needs to be a vehicle-per-unit-time flow rate on a road, and leaving that much space will mean to keep up the flow rate, we'll need extra lanes or of course vastly increased speeds

. . . not that it's not also a sensible idea mind

Reactions: JHCCAZ