Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why wrap the wood dash when you can stain it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JuiceBx

Consumer of kWhs
Nov 6, 2018
Before I got my Model 3 I had a Fiat 500e. One styling thing I really liked was the body matching dash inserts. I decided that I wanted the same for my blue Model 3.
I followed someone's how to on removing the dash trim. Taped off all the non-wood and began to sand using 80 grit to break through the finish. Be careful! The finish is hard and the veneer is thin.
Next, I used a damp rag to raise the grain then hit it with 120grit to smooth it.
I used 4 coats (brush on allow to soak in for 5 minutes the wipe off) of Folk Art Ultra Dye in Bayou Blue I got from Michael's then sealed it with 3 coats of Rust-Oleum matte Enamel.

MVIMG_20190602_170308.jpg
IMG_20190602_170137.jpg
IMG_20190602_170222.jpg
IMG_20190602_170203.jpg

Interesting idea and well executed! :)

I drive a FIAT 500 Abarth and also like the body-colour dash so I see where you’re coming from.

I think I’d like to re-colour the Model 3’s (black interior) brown wood to a lighter grey colour, wonder if that is possible.

-Alex

I have the alcantra wrap from rpmtesla and I really love how it matches the black interior trim. The blue on blue is interesting though.View attachment 415231
I really like that black alcantara! I want to do a black color on mine, but I have the white interior so probably not black alcantara, and carbon fiber isn't for me. I was thinking to try to find a shop to do a brushed metal since that's what I applied to my piano black for the door handles etc (white center console though). I just want to remove glare, otherwise I'd just leave it white.

Before I got my Model 3 I had a Fiat 500e. One styling thing I really liked was the body matching dash inserts. I decided that I wanted the same for my blue Model 3.
I followed someone's how to on removing the dash trim. Taped off all the non-wood and began to sand using 80 grit to break through the finish. Be careful! The finish is hard and the veneer is thin.
Next, I used a damp rag to raise the grain then hit it with 120grit to smooth it.
I used 4 coats (brush on allow to soak in for 5 minutes the wipe off) of Folk Art Ultra Dye in Bayou Blue I got from Michael's then sealed it with 3 coats of Rust-Oleum matte Enamel.
You did a good job. Now your Tesla dash looks like a Fiat 500e.