Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why 'Wrap' Your New Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
For those who have done it or are considering it, what's the thinking behind 'wrapping' the car in another color? I guess I get it if it's an odd color, but some people have recently posted about wrapping satin white over a black paint. Why not get the pearl white car?

How much does a wrap cost?
How long does a wrap last?
What does the wrap do to paint/chrome/plastic it covers when removed?
How do you do it at all those areas like door jambs with lots little crinkly spaces?
Who does a wrap?
Why not repaint every few years instead?

Just curious, no agenda. I obviously am not a 'wrapper'!

Wrap can cost $2k to $6k. Depends on the shop and quality. It can last a long time if cared for. Biggest danger is prolonged heat exposure. Wrapping a car protects the original paint and it is easier to wrap door jams and other difficult areas that would cost a lot to reprint. When it comes time to sell the car, just remove the vinyl and your original paint is as new as it was the day you wrapped the car. And, if you're fickle, you get to change your color often and without much issue.

For those who have done it or are considering it, what's the thinking behind 'wrapping' the car in another color? I guess I get it if it's an odd color, but some people have recently posted about wrapping satin white over a black paint. Why not get the pearl white car?

How much does a wrap cost?
How long does a wrap last?
What does the wrap do to paint/chrome/plastic it covers when removed?
How do you do it at all those areas like door jambs with lots little crinkly spaces?
Who does a wrap?
Why not repaint every few years instead?

Just curious, no agenda. I obviously am not a 'wrapper'!

I've had my GT-R wrapped twice. First time, matte black, now it's matte silver. Thinking about going the brushed silver or gold color next.
The main reason was for a unique look. The second reason was this was the first black car I owned and it was a MAJOR PITA to keep clean. Finally, I was looking to clear bra the car and ended up doing this instead to protect the paint.

Like tdiggity stated, it can run between 2-6k depending on what you want done and any details you have added.

They say it can last up to 5-7 years.

You don't wrap the plastic emblems usually. That is, a good wrapper will remove the emblems, door handles, etc to make sure the wrap goes under them to make it look as much like the car has been painted as possible. On my VW I did have the chrome around the windows wrapped, which I hear is a common complaint amongst Model S owners. So that is one area that is super easy to fix in a reversible way.

The thing that determines usually the price is how complex the curves are. That is what you are usually paying so much to the installer to stretch and tuck the wrap around odd corners. Surprisingly, the wrap guy stated that the hardest part on my car is the rear wing. I thought the 4 circular tail lights would be the hardest but he stated that was easy. How he seamlessly tucks one big piece of vinyl wrap into 3" recessed tail lights I have no idea...but it looks clean (again my GT-R).

Most of the guys that started doing the wraps where the same guys wrapping buses. If you look at buses with those advertisements that seem to change month to month that cover the whole bus, that is just a vinyl printed wrap. Then as more consumers were asking for it, the guys that do clear bras are now typically the ones that do it the most.

I've had my RX-7 repainted and it is never the same. Plus even though it was done at a "high end" shop there were defects. Plus, like paint, you still get paint chips etc. Vinyl is reversible. I get some defects from rocks on the front piece, then I just replace the front. I want to sell the car? No problem, peel off and factory paint underneath with no loss in value. I want to have race numbers one month and something different the next? No problem...wrap it. Plus if you are going for the matte look, the matte paint can be a bit more maintenance to take care of.

Finally, if you watch how they apply a wrap, they do use a razor to cut the wrap. Good wrappers can cut the vinyl without cutting into the clear. It really is a bit of an art.

Here is the guy I use in Dallas. I just looked at his page and he even wrapped a bike to protect it!
Clear Bra | Paint Protection Films | Window Tint | Dallas-Fort Worth

Metropolitan Detail quoted full wrap at $7200. I think one can repaint the entire car for that money. Wrap doesn't change resell value either. I had partial cover on my last two cars and frankly it was not worth it really.